Expand Disk Drive

You can't extend the disk space for VPX directly.  You can add a second disk (unformatted), and VPX will format/mount it when rebooted.  This extra space isn't really general purpose, though, it is intended for potential core dumps on larger memory VPX instances.   

Is there a particular need you see for more space?  Your feedback on your disk space usage in VPX is welcome.    

• 3 years later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 2/12/2020 at 4:22 PM, Sabine Ludewig1709156713 said:

I have the same question. We need to keep the logfiles for an extend period of time and I'm worried /var will not be big enough. Netscaler VPX13 on Vmware.

So if I attached a second disk, where would this additional space go? To the / filesystem?

Its a good question. I have more or less the same question on an Azure VPX.

I have deployed it, but a second disk is not used by the VPX on the file system. So I want to increase the diskspace and then maybe extend the partition?

• 1 year later...
On 2/12/2020 at 4:22 PM, Sabine Ludewig1709156713 said:

I have the same question. We need to keep the logfiles for an extend period of time and I'm worried /var will not be big enough. Netscaler VPX13 on Vmware.

So if I attached a second disk, where would this additional space go? To the / filesystem?

I wrote a blog on how to extend /var

Be aware, it's absolutely unsupported to do so

Greetings

Johannes Norz

CTA, CCI, CCE-N

My Blog

My free Citrix NetScaler/ADC test environment

• 4 months later...

We now have this new capability.  https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-adc/current-release/deploying-vpx/deploy-vpx-faq.html

Can we add a new hard drive to increase space on Citrix ADC VPX instance?

Yes. From Citrix ADC release 13.1 build 21.x onwards, you have the option to increase disk space on the Citrix ADC VPX instance by adding a second disk. This feature is supported on all VPX form factors. You must add the second disk during the first boot of the Citrix ADC appliance or next when the appliance is shut down. The second disk is used for storing core files and logging. Existing directories that are used to store core files and log files continue to work as earlier.

• 1 month later...

Hi Hariharan,
unfortunately there is not much information about how the ADC behaves after adding the second hard disk. Maybe you can answer me some more questions about this?

1. Is there anything that needs to be configured after adding the second hard drive to a new ADC or are the core and log files written directly to the second hard drive?

2. Do I need to configure anything after adding the second hard disk to an existing ADC or will the core and log files be written directly to the second hard disk? Do the existing directories on hard disk 1 remain?

3. There is a warning listed in the article. What scripts exactly are they talking about?

WARNING:

After you add a new HDD to VPX, some of the scripts that work on files that are moved to the new HDD might fail under the following condition:

If you use the "link" shell command to create hard links to the files, which were moved to a new HDD.

All such commands must be replaced by "ln -s" to use a symbolic link. Also, modify the failing scripts accordingly.

4. Is there anything that needs to be considered for future ADC upgrades? Or will they be done as before with one hard disk?

Thanks a lot!

Best regards,
Jens

Add a blank disk, reboot, and ADC will automatically format it and create symlinks from old locations to new disk. Only new data goes to the new disk.

You might want to clean up the old paths first because the symlinks hide the data on the first disk and instead only show the second disk.

The symlinks might cause the scripting concern.

• Like 1