Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Session hung at logoff on Windows Server 2012 R2

Benjamin Oumlsterle

Question

Hello,

im using XenApp 7.6 on Windows Server 2012 R2 (Published Desktops).

When the user logs of the session is stuck and it looks like the screenshot in the attachments.

The following processes are running:

csrss.exe

dwm.exe

LogonUI.exe

winlogon.exe

i am not able to sign of the session.

In this moment the user is not able to login on another server.

When i kill winlogon.exe the session closes, but the user is still not able to login.

When i restart the server the problem is temporary solved..

On the DDC i got this error in event viewer:

Error ID 12346, No available ressource found for user

Any idea on this issue?

• Like 2
  • Answers 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters For This Question

Hi everyone,

Hope this can help someone, we tried many changes, the last was updating CUPM to latest version (5.5) but didn't help, what worked for us (at least 'til now) was to set the Session Time Limits local gpo in each VDA server (GPEDIT > Computer Configuration/Administrative Templates/Windows Components/Remote Desktop Services/Remote Desktop Session Host/Session Time Limits)

Set time limit for disconnected sessions > Enabled (5 minutes)

Set time limit for active but idle Remote Desktop Services sessions > Enabled (30 minutes)

End session when time limits are reached > Enabled

Hopefully work for someone else!

Regards

Interesting, what happens if you un-register the add-ons within the browser and do not configure the LogoffCheckSysModules for VDARedirector.exe?  

http://docs.citrix.com/en-us/xenapp-and-xendesktop/7/cds-deliver-landing/cds-hosted-apps-intro/laa-overview/laa-redirecting-web-content.html

To unregister Add-ons on hosted desktops

• Internet Explorer<VDA_Installation_Folder>\VDARedirector.exe /unregIE
  • Firefox<VDA_Installation_Folder>\VDARedirector.exe /unregFF
  • Chrome<VDA_Installation_Folder>\VDARedirector.exe /unregChrome
  • All browsers<VDA_Installation_Folder>\VDARedirector.exe /unregAl

Hi All,

I have the same issue.

• XenDesktop 7.9
  • Windows Server 2008R2 Fully Patched.
  • VDA 7.9.0.101
  • UPM 5.4.0.6104
  • No AntiVirus on VDAs.
  • Citrix Policies managed through GPOs.

I tried unregistering like Francesco Nicosia commented. Didn't  work for me. Which did work was Phil Bedell solution: Adding VDARedirector.exe to LogoffCheckSysModules in the registry at: HKML/SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Citrix\wfshell\TWI 

I also tried doing a logoff script with the command: tsdiscon %SESSIONNAME% as stated here by Ryan Conlon: http://discussions.citrix.com/topic/241228-published-desktop-logoff-message/ This solution worked for me.

I also tried with the logoff script that kills wfshell.exe process: taskkill /f /im wfshell.exe /t. Solution at http://www.jgspiers.com/citrix-logoff-hangs-wfshell/ as George Spiers ponted put in this same thread. This solution worked for me.

I have a new XA 7.11 setup and I had to add a number of process to the LogoffCheckSysModules reg value. Some are application specific and I knew ahead of time I'd have to add them, but some were Citrix (Receiver) related. I spent hours narrowing down the processes and came to this list (bolded the ones that were Citrix related causing logout issues):

ClassicStartMenu.exe,PccNTMon.exe,jusched.exe,vmtoolsd.exe,CtxPvD.exe,AuthManSvr.exe,wfcrun32.exe,SelfService.exe,SelfServicePlugin.exe,concentr.exe

Hi all,

we have daily the Problem at different Users that the Session on the VDA at Logoff stay running with Username (4) and the following running processes (csrss.exe, dwm.exe, LogonUi.exe and winlogon.exe).

Our XA setup:

Windows 2012 R2 (all current Windows Updates)

XA 7.11

UPM 5.5.0

The only workaround for the moment is that we reboot all VDA`s every night so that the affected Users can Login next day again.

Did someone already find an solution for that problem?

Best regards

Patrick

Restarting UPM service is the workarround for us.

same environnement :

Windows 2012 R2 (all current Windows Updates)

XA 7.11

UPM 5.5.0

That works also for us!

We have experienced exactly same problems which are described in here. When I tried to log in with that "locked" user by RDP I hang every time on "Welcome" loading screen. Instead if I tried to open published application from Citrix I hang on "Starting" screen..

When I watch Citrix Storefront it tells that "locked" user's session "application state" was "Application not running". I cannot log it off or disconnect it, only server restart helps, while now I found this solution and restarting UPM helps immediately.

I really hope that Citrix will fix that as soon as possible!

Our environment is:

Windows 2012 R2 (with all current Windows updates)

XA 7.7

Hi all,

i configured and installed the last weeks two things on our XenApp 7.11 environment.

1. Installed the Patch https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/kb/3132080#bookmark-prerequisites

on the Windows 2012 R2 VDA´s because we use Profiles located on DFS. The Problem was in the first Step this... http://www.slr-corp.fr/2016/10/brute-force-installing-msu-package/

2. Configured correctly our Antivirus exclusion list for the VDA´s and Delivery Controller https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2016/12/02/citrix-recommended-antivirus-exclusions/

UserProfileManager.exe was for example missing at our side till yet.

After this we only had since them two disconnected (4) Sessions at evening and UPM or VDA Restart was needed. I find out that this was happening after the following error in the Application Event log..

Citrix Profile Management Event ID 23

File access may be denied. User '*****' experienced a long delay while file 'C:\Users\***\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Protect\S-1-5-21-1202660629-630328440-725345543-28165\BK-*****' was fetched from the user store.  Cause: The user tried to access the file but Profile management detected such a significant delay in this operation that access may be denied. The user received an error message. This may be due to antivirus software preventing access to the file in the user store.  Action: Consult the Profile management documentation for troubleshooting and configuration advice on enterprise antivirus products.

.. when the User signed off. The error appears short time after logon from the user in the morning.

Best regards

Patrick

Hi all,

our users are also noticing hangs on log off or hanging in the "Welcome"-Screen.

We have Win2012r2 Servers with VDA7.9  and the "Welcome" hang happens sometimes when the user is switching between Devices (ThinClient to Notebook or revers). Then during reconnect in the "Welcome"-Screen it hangs.

I figured out that if you check the "Analyse wait chain" of the User "dwm.exe" (Right-click on the dwm.exe of the user in Taskmanager --> "Analyze wait chain") that a second dwm.exe thread process opend. End that second process and after one or two seconds the session works again. "Welcome" screen disappear and Citrix Studio also shows that the Applications of the user is responding again. (If not then user should logon again and at least than it should work.)

So no reboot of the server needed no user is effected and the user does not lose data.

Also testable:
http://support.citrix.com/article/CTX207524

Best Regards
Michael

Hi all,

we opend an support case at Citrix for our problem with the disconnected Sessions. After four weeks looking for an solution, collecting Logfiles / Dumps and after a lot of communication with Citrix they recomended us to update the User Profile Manager to version 5.7.0. After we updated our both VDA´s to version 7.13 we didn´t see the "Citrix Profile Management Event ID 23" error since them.

So i think our problem is now fixed.

Best regards

Patrick 

• Like 1
On 11/23/2015 at 11:28 PM, Mike Yuen said:

Am having the same problem. XA 7.6 with PVS 7.6. Both on Win Server 2012 R2. Latest Windows updates installed.

Users are unable to connect to Citrix.

In Director: Several users show multiple sessions in "Disconnected", "Active", and/or "Connected" states (for the same user). I am unable to Disconnect or Logoff their sessions either.

I get the same 4 processes (as Benjamin/Original poster) showing in Disconnected state with a "(4)" as the user.

Server reboot is the only way for me to resolve the issue too, but doing so in full production hours (and kicking everyone else offline) is not an ideal solution.

This has happened 3x in our environment. you can perform 1y0-203 simulations on CCA-V to get better score in final exam

Thanks for your post (y)

Hi all,

we opend an support case at Citrix for our problem with the disconnected Sessions. After four weeks looking for an solution, collecting Logfiles / Dumps and after a lot of communication with Citrix they recomended us to update the User Profile Manager to version 5.7.0. After we updated our both VDA´s to version 7.13 we didn´t see the "Citrix Profile Management Event ID 23" error since them.

So i think our problem is now fixed.

Best regards

Patrick 

I vote up this!

We also updated our User Profile Manager (UPM) what should be newer than version 5.7.0. Since we updated UPM we haven't occurred this issue again.

So I think too that problem is fixed.

Regards,

Niko Kiuru

On 6/20/2018 at 3:24 PM, Tim Ward said:

We are seeing the csrss.exe, dwm.exe, LogonUi.exe and winlogon.exe hung behavior on Windows 2012 R2, Xenapp 7.15 CU2 and UPM 7.15 .

We can manually kill LogonUI.exe and then WinLogon.exe and the session will release.

Were you able to resolve it? Same OS and versions here with the same issue.

We were able to resolve our issues by disabling Print Isolation via GPO. We found that PrintIsolationHost.exe was hanging up the other processes listed. You can check this going into task manager/Details and right clicking spoolsv.exe and selecting Analyze wait chain. If it doesn't say it's running normally, you'll see it listed in the white box below as well as the PrintIsolationHost.exe.

We finally worked with Microsoft to determine our problem which turned out to be TWI3.dll.  Citrix bug # LD0406

TWI3.dll was calling CleanUpHostclientInfoThread within Winlogon which is a big no-no according to MS. 

Workaround was seamless flag x4000 which DISABLE CLIENT INFO SYNC.

We have not had any hung sessions since instituting the workaround or installing the private.

If you find any hung sessions with just these 4 processes running, open Winlogon in Process Explorer and see if there are any threads still running cycles from TWI3.dll.  That was our indicator.

With XA7.15, Windows2012R2 or 2016, when you have published "Windows Explorer" application and you have SCCM in your environment , then SCNotification will start running in user session along with Windows Explorer , which results in not graceful log off for user session when you close WindowsExplorer. Best is to add "SCNotification.exe" in logoffchecksysmodule regkey which is ususally deployed via GPO. Please note SCNotification.exe only kicks in with WindowsExplorer and generally not with any other application for e.g. Notepad. I hope this will help. Thanks