Increasing disk size MCS

Campbell Kay

Question

Hi Guys,

We created our XenApp farm from a Gold Image and used MCS to clone this.

now i need to increase the C: Drive of my XenApp servers, normally you could just do this via VMWare. 

its greyed out on these VM.

What is the best way to do this, do i need to go and redeploy the whole farm again?

any info would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Cam

10 answers to this question

ok so i have some snapshots on my master image from creating catalogs, do i just delete them, increase the size and update my catalog. 

how does that effect the farm, does it reset everything back to exactly like the master image or will it keep the individual settings from each server? if that make sense?

Campbell, before you do any of this can you please just confirm what version of XenDesktop and VMware you are using?

We are aware of an issue with XenDesktop 7.5 & VMware 5.0 that I don't want you to drop into.

Thanks,

Mark.

MCS Engineering Lead.

We are running XenApp 7.6 and VMWare 5.5

i think i have figured this out, have tested it on a test catalog and seems fine. 

Just trying to work out how KMS and Activation servers works now as i don't want to have to reactive windows and office, every time we update the image.

Thanks Guys.

I'm working with a Citrix Support engineer who is claiming that expanding a master image is not supported. I have always been able to expand master images both in PVS and MCS with no issues. I feel like he is misinformed.

He is, certainly for MCS. If it's a non-persistent catalog then just increase the size of the disk on the original VM you used as the source for the catalog (remembering to resize NTFS in Windows as well) and do an image update.

On 5/14/2015 at 2:19 PM, Mark Syms said:

Campbell, before you do any of this can you please just confirm what version of XenDesktop and VMware you are using?

We are aware of an issue with XenDesktop 7.5 & VMware 5.0 that I don't want you to drop into.

Thanks,

Mark.

MCS Engineering Lead.

Hello Mark,

There is contradictory statement at the article, Could you please explain it?  https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX214248 , Is that expanding the HDD on C:\, supported on not on CVAD7.15.x + Vmware 6.5

Thanks 

JayP

We have the same problem with our server starting to run out of disk space.

My question is what happens to the existing catalog's which are using existing snapshots on the master\gold image server within Studio?

If all existing snapshots are removed from within VMware so the disk can be increased does this impact the existing running catalog's\provisoned servers?

Or would you end up having to remove all existing catalog's and re-create everything from fresh once the master image server has been increased?