Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Xenapp 7.5 multiple sessions with the same user account

David Harrop

Question

Hi,

This may be a silly question but i've been trying to figure this out without any success. I'm testing a fresh 7.5 install as we are looking to move from 5. I have 2 controller/storefront servers and behind that 2 Application servers. We tend to use a generic user account for a particular remote site which inturn consists of a few machines. This works fine in 5 and did in previous versions but with 7.5 the session seems to be taken over by the next user who logs on with the same user account. I've tried the normal untick 'Restrict each user to a single session' box in RDP config but no luck.

So the question is, can you use one user account for multiple sessions as we could with previous versions or has this been removed.

Thanks in advance.

In my environment there will be a new session started if no disconnected session is present and you launch the session from a different endpoint.

BrokerEntitlementPolicyRule ist set to "Always" on all Delivery Groups

Delivery Controllers and SF are on 7.15 CU4

VDA is on 7.15 CU3

edocs tell that the bevahiour should be different. A Published Desktop session should alwys reconnect as default, Right?

Not in my Environment, but we Need the always reconnect thing…

Any thoughts?.

On ‎10‎/‎16‎/‎2014 at 0:20 PM, Leo Singleton said:

On XenApp 7.6, you can try the experimental SessionReconnection setting available via PowerShell.  On any Server OS delivery group, run:

Set-BrokerEntitlementPolicyRule <Delivery Group Name> -SessionReconnection <Value>

Where <Value> can be:

• Always - This is the default and matches the behavior of a VDI session.  Sessions always roam, regardless of client device.
  • DisconnectedOnly - This reverts back to the XenApp 6.x and earlier behavior.  Sessions may be roamed between client devices by first disconnecting them (or using Workspace Control) to explicitly roam them.  However, active sessions are not stolen from another client device, and a new session is launched instead.
  • SameEndpointOnly - This matches the behavior of the "ReconnectSame" registry setting in XenApp 6.x.  Each user will get a unique session for each client device they use, and roaming between clients is completely disabled.
This will change the roaming behavior for desktop sessions.  For app sessions, use:

Set-BrokerAppEntitlementPolicyRule <Delivery Group Name> -SessionReconnection <Value>

Unfortunately, this feature was not fully tested in time for the 7.6 release and thus remains experimental.  Offhand, the only known issue I'm aware of is that it doesn't work properly with Connection Leasing, and during a database outage, the roaming behavior will revert back to the default of Always.  If you find any other issues, please report them via support, however we can't commit to fixing them until the next release.

I can confirm that these settings have no effect on launching published applications from within a published Desktop. The session roams no matter what setting is enabled.

it should work for PublishedApp sessions but not for desktop sessions.

you need to set the above values via PowerShell and additional a reg key

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\ System\CurrentControlSet\Control\TerminalServer

If the fSingleSessionPerUser value doesn't exist, create a new DWORD value named fSingleSessionPerUser

Open the fSingleSessionPerUser value. The possible values for this setting are as follows:

0x0

Allow multiple sessions per user

0x1

Force each user to a single session

Maybe you will also need tu customize the Published application within Studio to allow multiple instances per user

I can confirm that LeoS command above works even in 7.15LTSR!

This is the exact command i used, where i made a change from LeoS command:

Set-BrokerEntitlementPolicyRule  -Name  "Delivery Group Name"  -SessionReconnection SameEndpointOnly

I found the Delivery Group name with this command, in the collumn "name":

Get-BrokerEntitlementPolicyRule