Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Cannot join server group error

Andrew Moss1709151939

Unabled to join server to existing storefront server.

Server was previously joined but when navigating each option in the console, it would error trying to show any of the detail eg - the authentication mechanisms. It was all working fine on the primary server.

done a full uninstall and checked the registry/file system for stale data and removed any items & rebooted. Now getting the following error. Please advise Citrix...

Exception configuring the Joiner for the Server Group.
Citrix.DeliveryServices.PowerShell.Command.Runner.Exceptions.PowerShellExecutionException, Citrix.DeliveryServices.PowerShell.Command.Runner, Version=2.3.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e8b77d454fa2a856
An error occured running the command: 'Set-DSJoinClusterEnvironment'
at Citrix.DeliveryServices.PowerShell.Command.Runner.PowerShellCommandRunner.RunCommand(IPowerShellCommand command)
at Citrix.DeliveryServices.ClusterService.PowerShell.ClusterConfigurationBL.SetJoinClusterEnvironment(String hostBaseUrl, Int64 siteId, ServerInfo authorizer, String authorizerCertificateThumbprint, ServerInfo joiner, String joinerCertificateThumbprint)
at Citrix.DeliveryServices.ClusterService.PowerShell.DeploymentSteps.JoinClusterDeployment.SetUp()
at Citrix.DeliveryServices.ClusterService.PowerShell.DeploymentSteps.DeploymentBase.Deploy()
at Citrix.DeliveryServices.ClusterService.Service.ServiceController.ConfigureJoiner(IClusterJoin joinProxyWrapper, ClusterJoinRequest joinRequest, ClusterAuthorizationResponse authResponse, ClusterDetailsResponse detailsResponse)

System.Management.Automation.ActionPreferenceStopException, System.Management.Automation, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
Command execution stopped because the preference variable "ErrorActionPreference" or common parameter is set to Stop: Exception of type 'Citrix.DeliveryServices.Framework.Install.Exceptions.DirectoryAlreadyExistsException' was thrown.
at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.SynchronousExecuteEnumerate(Object input, Hashtable errorResults, Boolean enumerate)
at System.Management.Automation.PipelineNode.Execute(Array input, Pipe outputPipe, ArrayList& resultList, ExecutionContext context)
at System.Management.Automation.ParseTreeNode.Execute(Array input, Pipe outputPipe, ExecutionContext context)
at System.Management.Automation.AssignmentStatementNode.Execute(Array input, Pipe outputPipe, ExecutionContext context)
at System.Management.Automation.StatementListNode.ExecuteStatement(ParseTreeNode statement, Array input, Pipe outputPipe, ArrayList& resultList, ExecutionContext context)

Could you provide the logs for C:\Program Files\Citrix\Receiver StoreFront\Admin\logs that are generated when you attempt the join. The event log message you have posted indicates a directory that StoreFront needs to use already exists (probably from the previous install), the logs will indicate which one.

Thanks.

Hi Ross, I archived the existing log files and then attempted to add the storefront server and so have attached the new logs files that were generated for this.

There are a number of file copy operations relating to "C:\Program Files\Citrix\Receiver StoreFront" but I removed any stale folders and files in this location after the initial uninstall...

Apart from that I cannot see anything obvious in the logs...

Thanks

Edited by: Andrew Moss on Oct 4, 2013 4:59 AM

FailedToJoin.zip

Thanks for the logs, I'm guessing they are from the joining machine.

I can see at least one error in the file Add-DSSubscriptionsSynchroniser_*:
SubscriptionsStoreSynchroniserFeatureInstance: Deploy failed due to exception: Citrix.DeliveryServices.Framework.Deployment.Steps.Exceptions.FirewallRuleException: A Windows Firewall Rule: Citrix SubscriptionsStore Synchronisation already exists

If you remove the firewall rule above the join should get further however if you have attempted a number of failed joins there could be some other remnants left behind that trip it up.

The easiest course of action at this point would be to uninstall StoreFront on the server that won't join and ensure the C:\Program Files\Citrix\Receiver StoreFront is deleted. Reinstall StoreFront and reattempt the join.

Thanks.

Hi Ross, great tip - I saw this error but thought nothing of it. However deleting the existing firewall rule "Citrix SubscriptionsStore Synchronisation" then allowed the setup process to recreate and and successfully complete the join.

Can you feed this back to the developers to include some logic in the setup process for this type of thing for future releases?

Regards
Andy

Unfortunately looks as though still have issues. Upon trying to propagate from the primary the new new secondary SF server, I am getting the following error on the primary:

An error has occured during the all server configuration update process.
Citrix.DeliveryServices.ConfigurationReplication.Exceptions.ServerUpdateConfigurationException, Citrix.DeliveryServices.ConfigurationReplication, Version=2.3.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e8b77d454fa2a856
An error occured running the command: 'Install-DSFeatureClasses'
RemoteEndpoint: net.tcp://nooslxa006p/Citrix/ConfigurationReplication

On the secondary I get the error (one of several):

Error during roaming refresh
System.NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
at Citrix.DeliveryServices.Admin.Authentication.Extensions.CitrixAGBasicExtension.CitrixAGBasicExtension.UpdateGateways(List`1 gateways)
at Citrix.DeliveryServices.Admin.Authentication.Extensions.CitrixAGBasicExtension.CitrixAGBasicExtension.OnGatewaysChanged(ServiceChangedEventArgs args)
at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Events.EventSubscription`1.InvokeAction(Action`1 action, TPayload argument)
at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Events.EventSubscription`1.<>c__DisplayClass2.<GetExecutionStrategy>b__0(Object[] arguments)
at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Events.EventBase.InternalPublish(Object[] arguments)
at Microsoft.Practices.Composite.Presentation.Events.CompositePresentationEvent`1.Publish(TPayload payload)
at Citrix.DeliveryServices.Admin.Roaming.Gateways.Controllers.GatewaysController.RefreshGatewaysList()

*and*

Citrix.DeliveryServices.PowerShell.Command.Runner.Exceptions.PowerShellExecutionException, Citrix.DeliveryServices.PowerShell.Command.Runner, Version=2.3.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=e8b77d454fa2a856
An error occured running the command: 'Install-DSFeatureClasses'

System.Management.Automation.ActionPreferenceStopException, System.Management.Automation, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35
Command execution stopped because the preference variable "ErrorActionPreference" or common parameter is set to Stop: Exception of type 'Citrix.DeliveryServices.Framework.Install.Exceptions.DirectoryAlreadyExistsException' was thrown.
at System.Management.Automation.Internal.PipelineProcessor.SynchronousExecuteEnumerate(Object input, Hashtable errorResults, Boolean enumerate)
at System.Management.Automation.PipelineNode.Execute(Array input, Pipe outputPipe, ArrayList& resultList, ExecutionContext context)
at System.Management.Automation.StatementListNode.ExecuteStatement(ParseTreeNode statement, Array input, Pipe outputPipe, ArrayList& resultList, ExecutionContext context)

It's a DirectoryAlreadyExistsException'. If you check the logs of the server being propagated to in the C:\Program Files\Citrix\Receiver StoreFront\logs\ directory, one of them will include more detail about the DirectoryAlreadyExistsException' error. If you delete the existing directory it refers to you should be able to continue the deployment.

In joining failures like this it's usually easier to start from scratch with an uninstall, StoreFront directory deletion and rejoin else you have to pick though each error as you find them.

Thanks.

unfortunately doing a re-install does not fix the problem. I uninstall Storefront and also deleted the following items:

Removed all Citrix firewall rules
Uninstall all IIS components
Removed any c:\program files\Citrix folders
Deleted all entries under HKLM\Software\Citrix
Verified no Citrix services present
verified all Citrix groups removed
deleted Inetpub folder
rebooted

Storefront installs fine, successfully adds but errors on the first time replication and subsequent replications attempts...

You will need to run tracing on the server that you are propagating to. Open up a PowerShell session and issue the following commands to turn it on:

Add-PSSnapin Citrix.DeliveryServices.Framework.Commands
Set-DSTraceLevel -All -TraceLevel "Verbose"
Stop-DSService -name "CitrixConfigurationReplication" -Confirm:$false
Start-DSService -name "CitrixConfigurationReplication" -Confirm:$false

If you then reattempt the propagation from the working server the trace files will be created in "C:\Program Files\Citrix\Receiver StoreFront\Trace\" of the failing server. We can use the traces from the propagation service on the failing server to determine why.

When you have finished gathering the traces you can turn it off again using:

Add-PSSnapin Citrix.DeliveryServices.Framework.Commands
Set-DSTraceLevel -All -TraceLevel "Off"
Stop-DSService -name "CitrixConfigurationReplication" -Confirm:$false
Start-DSService -name "CitrixConfigurationReplication" -Confirm:$false

thanks for the good support Ross.

Unfortunately trace did not log anything (other than create the trace folder) so I have attached the regular logs that were generated by performaing a propogate on the primary node...
There are a few errors there about folders existing. However, I deleted the entire Citrix path prior to installing SF...

logs1.zip

As you say the directory C:\Program Files\Citrix\Receiver StoreFront\Features\WebApplication shouldn't exist as you deleted the tree. Does it proceed further if you delete the folder it's complaining about?

To cut down the number of log files in which additional errors could be located you may want to relocate the contents of C:\Program Files\Citrix\Receiver StoreFront\Logs prior to retrying the operation.

Thanks.

So renaming the "WebApplication" folder and then retrying propagation has now completed successfully. I needed to refresh the console in order for it to show the configuration properly but it looks ok now...

Cor that was painful... Why on earth would it complain about a folder existing that it has created itself???

Still not convinced by the robustness of SF over WI yet...

Many thanks for your help...

• Like 1

Glad you were are finally running on the second server.

In cases where the folder exists StoreFront will replace it if it is empty, where it contains files it cannot tell if it put them there itself so doesn't trash the folder in case its contents are still needed. The folder existing with files in may occur when a previous deployment fails to remove everything.

Future releases should address deployment issues such as this one that aren't fatal.

Thanks.

• 6 months later...

Propagation failed on one or more servers. Refer to the event log for more information.

I had the same issue when joining storefront server to server group and propagating server changes.

Solution worked for me is disable legacy PNAgent url by going to stores node - configure legacy support - uncheck Enable Legacy support

Now propagate the changes it will work

• 1 year later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 years later...

I also had this issue.  (Storefront 3.12.400.93 - Citrix XenApp/XenDesktop 7.15 LTSR CU4)

I noticed that the citrix cluster join service running on the authorizer was set to disabled.  I started this service (running as the network services account), added both server accounts to the local administrators group on both servers still no joy.  -  Event log showed event id 2, source citrix cluster join service.  [Keyset does not exist]

To fix this:

On the authorizing server, change the citrix cluster join service account to 'local system' with desktop access.  Make sure that the service is started and running, then attempt the join sequence.