Updated Privacy Statement

Override printer settings for auto created printers on thin clients

Graham Andrews

Question

We have recently been rolling out new IGEL thin client devices to our sites and these are set with a local printer that is being mapped as an auto created printer when the user logs in.

We need to find a way to default all of these separate printers to Black and White printing and to duplex. I've tried using the overrides in the printer policy settings but these do not seem to be applying. Changing the driver works though strangely when using the citrix universal driver it shows up in the session as a HP laser jet 2800.

The printer i've been testing with is a Canon iR3580 but we have a range of HP's, Ricoh's and other manufacturers printers dotted around (the joys of having facilities buy all the printers then letting us know after they've arrived what they are). I've checked the boxes to set printing to monochrome and vertical duplex but the printer properties in my session show as colour and no duplex

3 answers to this question

I may have figured out what's going on here and why the settings aren't applying.

When I connect from a windows machine with the same printer the overrides apply and the universal driver is correctly used. Trouble is the IGEL device is a Linux based machine and just doing Raw printing through CUPS even though it's telling citrix to use a specific driver.

Might have to find another way around this issue, local printers are great for managing the network traffic but rubbish when you have to enforce settings

We are starting to roll out IGEL UD3 Linux systems in our environment and have noticed we can't seem to get a locally attached printer to map using the Citrix UPD on XenApp or XenDesktop. In the IGEL UMS Console, when we create a profile and select either a specific CUPS printer model or if we choose generic, raw queue we can never seem to get a Citrix UPD printer to map in the user's session. The only way we can seem to map a locally attached printer via Citrix is if we add the specific driver onto the XenApp or XenDesktop system and then define that printer driver name in the UMS profile. It would be nice to know if it is possible to have a printer locally attached to an IGEL map the Citrix UPD if the driver is not located on the server/desktop. If anyone has figured this out, any assistance is appreciated, thanks. 

Could it be because of this?

Citrix UPD requires the use of the PostScript data format to support client printing on Mac and Linux clients. To achieve this, Citrix leverages PostScript driver developed by HP. The version of this HP driver, that Microsoft had previously built into the Windows 7 and Server 2008 R2 operating systems, is no longer included with Windows 10, Server 2012 R2, or Server 2016. Because of this missing driver, client-printers on Mac and Linux endpoints fail to be created in the XenApp and XenDesktop session.

Client printing from Mac and Linux clients on Windows 10, Server 2012 R2, and Server 2016
https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX140208