Updated Privacy Statement

Backups for PVS/XD

Bhanta pop

Question

4 answers to this question

I'm not sure what you mean by "XD servers" but for PVS, you should backup the standard OS according to whatever procedures your company employs. For the PVS side of it, you definitely want to back up the vdisk stores and you definitely want to exclude any cache locations (if you have some server-side caching going on).

For the vdisk stores, you probably dont need nightly backups if your vdisks dont change.

- Padraig.

Ii meant xendesktop - i'll post in that forum aswell.

Sorry if this sounds silly but is it ok to backup all the files in the store (i.e vhd etc) whilst the vdisk is in use (vis shared image mode) by target devices for example?

Edited by: Bhanta pop on 03-Nov-2010 11:38

Hello, I know this is an old post, but just in case someone stumbles upon it, please refer to this: https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/provisioning/current-release/manage/managing-vdisks/vdisks-back-up.html

NOTE:

Do not back up a virtual disk while its being used or while it is locked. Citrix recommends backing up these disks using your normal provisioning server backup routine. 

Regarding backing up PVS servers, there is no data here.  All the data is in the PVS database.  If you want a snapshot of the PVS server, power it off.