Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Profile mangement consolidation - how to?

Question

Hallo

I am trying to help a company with consolidating the profile tools used on their platform

However the company would love to be able to migrate the profile instead of creating a new one - For user friendliness ?

They are not in the process of change of OS or anything similar , just trying to optimize the profile - Including logon times and user experience inside Citrix.

They are currently running the following:
Windows Redirected folders: Desktop , Downloads, Documents and Roaming.

FSlogix office 365 Containers

And UPM (The file based version) and since the roamning part of the profile is redirected the UPM is only handling the Local part.

We are trying to use the Citrix UPM Container based solution since it gets updates frequently.

I still want the Desktop and Documents to be redirected - Downloads can just be delete (if you ask me, or i can redirect that aswell, depending on the client)

The roamning part is where the trouble is 

I have tried the following:

Migrate the roamning part back to the UPM folder ( simply by doing a copy paste of the files) and then use the UPM migreating script, that is provided by Citrix.
That worked fine, however the problem was that it broke the users Outlook.

If they have to redownload the mails it does not matter much, but it broke the outlook profile entirely.

If i enabled Fslogix and so UPM handle the profile part and FSlogix handle the Office 365 part the server bluescreened

So that was not really an option ?

Anyone had a similar setup? and migrated away from that? and how?

Thanks in advance

//Martin

3 answers to this question

Happy New Year Martin

On 12/29/2023 at 6:57 PM, Martin Munk Mouritsen1709164054 said:

Yes we are using that "Include Outlook Personalization" - Among other things like "include teams" , onenote, one drive , office activation ect...

This could be problematic in a migration scenario; I wonder if that is what is breaking your outlook piece.

Sadly we don't use WEM, even though i am a massive fan ? but i guess we can do similar things with a logon script. (Maybe i should bring that up again..)

Yeah, any tool will do the job, WEM was just my tool of choice, PowerShell etc. will get the job done.

Not sure what i was hopeing for in terms of answer either. i'm just a bit baffled about the current setup ?

This is a pretty common deployment model - UPM with Office Containers was pretty solid. Typically, I think if you can, undoing each component bit by bit is probably going to be your friend.

-> AppData redirection -> Kill it, low hanging fruit

-> Then maybe a look at those outlook settings in the office container -> Also have a look a the silent config options via GPO for outlook

-> Once those are out of the way, you should be back to normal profile migration considerations -> Which i still vote for kill if you can, crud-in crud-out as it goes ?

• Like 1

In the current deployment with FSLogix Office Containers, I wonder if they are using the "Include Outlook Personalization" component -> this could be hurting if it's enabled, and then the office container is taken away?

Usually when handling profile migrations, I tried to start as clean as possible and then bring what was needed, some examples from memory:

• Things like signatures etc were in appdata -> copied them using a one off WEM task. Same for office caches, quick launches etc.
  • Outlook profiles, typically recreated and used the auto config/silent config to make sure it was as smooth for a user as possible.

Resetting AppData redirection back to defaults is always one of the most enjoyable parts -> i have a small script that might help here https://jkindon.com/stop-redirecting-appdata/

Good test on how much a profile is actually needed is simply reset a user's profile and see what they are not happy with - typically easy enough to fix those bits

You should be able to get away with CPM for all requirements above, it's just going to be an order of execution thing,

@James Kindon

Thanks for the response ? Really good points, and was secretly hoping for a response from you, since i have taken a sneak peak on your websites a few times and some very good info there ?

Especially this article ?https://jkindon.com/stop-redirecting-appdata/ 

Yes we are using that "Include Outlook Personalization" - Among other things like "include teams" , onenote, one drive , office activation ect...

Sadly we don't use WEM, even though i am a massive fan ? but i guess we can do similar things with a logon script. (Maybe i should bring that up again..)

Its not a bad idea to simply just test and see what is missing and then hopefully remove 90% of the issues (can never account for the odd user)
But since we do not do much with the start menu, other then using a shared one or simply not doing much to it. I am kinda afraid that will give issues as well.

Not sure what i was hopeing for in terms of answer either.. i'm just a bit baffled about the current setup ?

We have multiple clients with similar setups ?

Happy new year, cause i wont see the respons before the next year anyway ?

//Martin