Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktop with Windows Terminal Server

jdraghici

Question

Hey guys,

Pretty new to Citrix (mediocre experience). We have a 2019 Windows Terminal Server in AWS. Currently users are remotely into it via RDP with a VPN but the owners have expressed they want to move back to Citrix. We dont need virtual desktops by Citrix but rather I'd like to configure Citrix on the Terminal Server to act as a the broker for connections and allow RDP via Citrix Workspace with VDI support.

I have been reading through this guide https://www.carlstalhood.com/citrix-virtual-apps-and-desktops-cvad-2203-ltsr/ although it seems to geared towards larger deployments using it for also Virtual Desktops deployed on zenservers etc...

I know there is a "Remote PC Access" feature that could be used but it seems to only be compatible with physical machines. This system is a virtual Terminal Server on AWS.

Is it possible to configure Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops to function just as a broker with VDI support to the Terminal Server without actually having to create Virtual Machines for deployments? If so please can someone provide assistance in how to configure this or any documentation on the subject that might help?

Thanks in advance.

9 answers to this question

1) You don't have an issue that needs resolving, you are asking for the bare fundamentals on the product which you can easily find details on at: https://docs.citrix.com/. I clearly stated the technical answer to your question above.

2) I did not tell you to go to support, that is rubbish. I mentioned that your environment sounds very small, and you will likely struggle to even get the Citrix technology set, and as such you would need to go through a CSP. That is not "go to support". That is "can you even get the technology?". 

3) Like everyone else here, I am a volunteer lending knowledge and experience where it helps. Responses like yours get you absolutely nowhere with anyone giving up their time in an attempt to assist.

• Like 1

You don’t have to use Citrix provisioning to deploy workloads -  you can have the VDA components installed and pointing to brokers to allow session brokering (replacing RDP)  

You are going to need a supporting infrastructure to allow this to happen, and if you are new customer, and small, you are going to have to go through a CSP to get access to Citrix Tech. 

On 9/30/2023 at 8:49 PM, James Kindon said:

You don’t have to use Citrix provisioning to deploy workloads -  you can have the VDA components installed and pointing to brokers to allow session brokering (replacing RDP)  

You are going to need a supporting infrastructure to allow this to happen, and if you are new customer, and small, you are going to have to go through a CSP to get access to Citrix Tech. 

Basically the response I expected to receive. Why receive any actual useful information. Thanks...

9 minutes ago, James Kindon said:

Intriguing response -  not quite sure what you are unhappy about here

I'm unhappy about the fact you have Citrix forums here to answer questions like I have asked yet your response is to "contact support" without even trying any type of troubleshooting or providing assistance before hand. Even simple articles pointing to the possible resolution and knowledge I seek would have most likely solved the issue. Why do you even have forums if that is your default response?

How many Terminal Servers are you planning to build? In Citrix Studio, you can create a Catalog but choose the third provisioning option called "Other Service or Technology", which creates a Manual Catalog. Then add your manually-built VDAs into that Catalog. Once the Catalog is built, you can create a Delivery Group and publish apps and desktops.

You're asking for something that usually gets scoped out as a 20-40 hour to start with as a project with most vendors.

You need to setup Delivery Controllers, Storefront connections, VDA configuration on Terminal Server, NetScaler Gateway if you want internet based connectivity.  This is for an on-premise deployment.

If you want to go Citrix Cloud, they will handle the Controller database, Storefront and gateway, but you must configure cloud connectors, VDA configurations, and cloud configurations.

You are basically replacing the whole brokering and access to your environment to a new vendor.

On 10/2/2023 at 7:28 AM, Jeff Riechers1709152667 said:

You're asking for something that usually gets scoped out as a 20-40 hour to start with as a project with most vendors.

You need to setup Delivery Controllers, Storefront connections, VDA configuration on Terminal Server, NetScaler Gateway if you want internet based connectivity.  This is for an on-premise deployment.

If you want to go Citrix Cloud, they will handle the Controller database, Storefront and gateway, but you must configure cloud connectors, VDA configurations, and cloud configurations.

You are basically replacing the whole brokering and access to your environment to a new vendor.

Sure for a full Citrix employment maybe, thats not what I'm asking..  it is a pretty simple infrastructure setup that doesn't need half the options you even listed. Pass Through does not require NetScaler Gateway for example.

What I asked was what options to configure for passthrough (aka act as just a broker) to an existing terminal server without virtual machine deployments. I did not ask how to do a FULL CITRIX DEPLOYMENT.

Anyways I was able to resolve the issue myself once I found the article explaining the differences between Remote Desktop Access and Multi-OS Remote Access.

But that's the thing, you can't just do a pass through for Citrix. It requires the full deployment.  Either cloud, or on-premise connectors and storefront.  And Gateway is only if you don't have a VPN for remote access.  If everyone is local or vpn, then you don't need gateway.

It's not like how you can direct RDP to a machine without an RDP broker.