Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Users being disconnected and not able to reconnect to session, being sent to other servers instead

Chris Gundry

Question

Hi all

Wondering if anyone can point me in the right direction please?

We are running 2203 CU2 infra and 2203 CU3 VDA components and FSLogix 2.9.8440.42104 (will be trying hotfix 2 this or next week).

We have an issue which is multi fold...

Some random users are coming back from lunch and finding their sessions disconnected. They are laptop users, so maybe the laptop is going to sleep etc.

They go to reconnect to Citrix and one of two things is happening:

1. They get a NEW blank session.

2. They get an FSLogix error essentially saying that their profile is in use and locked.

I have only seen the 2nd one 1st hand and this is what I have seen.

The user was logged onto server 1

They went to lunch, came back and tried to log back onto Citrix

They got a failed session on server 2 with the FSLogix error

I checked Director and it shows NO session for the user. Not disconnected, 'not connected', as if she doesn't have a session anywhere at all...

I checked server 1 and taskmanager DOES show a session for her.

So seems to me that the DDCs should be sending her to server 1, but for some reason they are not... ??

No useful logs on DDCs or the VDA as far as I can see.

We have a 1912 VDA catalog which uses the same session timeouts, mostly same GPOs etc, but uses UPM instead of FSLogix. These issues do NOT happen in 1912, using the same delivery controllers/SF etc...

I have seen the Citrix KB about disabling the 'remove lock option', which we DON'T have configured, so shouldn't be that.

I have also seen references to 

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\Ica\GroupPolicy

EnforceUserPolicyEvaluationSuccess DWORD 0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\Reconnect

FastReconnect DWORD 0

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\Ica\GroupPolicy "EnforceUserPolicyEvaluationSuccess"dword:00000000

But those seem to be very old and seemingly resolved in later CUs...? None of those are configured in our 1912 catalog either...

Would infra components on 2203 CU2 and VDA on 2203 CU3 cause anything like this?

I am raising a Citrix support case, but knowing how they are these days I thought I would ask here as well! So, anyone got any ideas?

Thanks!

12 answers to this question

14 hours ago, Jeff Riechers1709152667 said:

Make sure the Remove lock computer is not enabled via GPO, Regedit, or local policy.  This causes reconnect issues with newer VDAs.

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX128241/users-cannot-reconnect-to-a-disconnected-session

Thanks, but as I said, we don't have that configured. We do have Task Manager disabled for users, but as that isn't listed in any of the KBs or blog posts I have seen I assume that isn't related.

Sorry, missed that in your message.  That was the main one that was tripping me up at a client recently.

Check out this article.  DisableGPCalculation might help.

https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/418468-xenapp-vda-2303-reconnecting-to-disconnected-session-problems/page/2/

Also run an rsop.msc to see if any settings might have been dropped locally and not appearing in GPO.  Also, did you troll the registry keys on the provisioned image to make sure settings aren't getting dropped in in other locations?

On the sessions that are still running on the server, but users can't connect to, what processes do you see running in that session under task manager?  I know I ran into something similar to this without the lock computer that was listed as a "ghost session" bug.

20 hours ago, Jeff Riechers1709152667 said:

Sorry, missed that in your message.  That was the main one that was tripping me up at a client recently.

Check out this article.  DisableGPCalculation might help.

https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/418468-xenapp-vda-2303-reconnecting-to-disconnected-session-problems/page/2/

Also run an rsop.msc to see if any settings might have been dropped locally and not appearing in GPO.  Also, did you troll the registry keys on the provisioned image to make sure settings aren't getting dropped in in other locations?

On the sessions that are still running on the server, but users can't connect to, what processes do you see running in that session under task manager?  I know I ran into something similar to this without the lock computer that was listed as a "ghost session" bug.

Thanks Jeff. Yes, I have seen those registry keys and thread. As I said, from what I saw they didn't apply to 2203, but I have them on my list of things to test.

I am more interested really in why Director doesn't show the session as 'disconnected', it shows it as 'not connected', which is not the same thing. It seems to think there is NO session for the user, when there is still a session on the VDA1. Surely if Director doesn't know about a session, then 'Citrix' won't try and reconnect a user to their existing session on VDA1, because it doesn't think there is one. So it naturally tries to give them a new session on VDAx, but it can't because the FSLogix profile is locked by the 'disconnected' session on VDA1.

The session on the VDA has all the users apps still open, as would be normal for a disconnected session.

I have had to apply the disablegpcalculation even with 2203 versions that supposedly had the fix.

It fixes some Wmi tie-ins with the MS OS.  I would test that.

Also some people reported issues with this happening with certain versions of the workspace app.  What client versions are people using?  Is there a commonality between those users with the problems and the version they had connected with, and attempted to reconnect with?

OK great thank you, I have it on my list to try next. Currently we have several other updates/changes that are being pushed out for various things like FSLogix hotfix 2, so we can't change anything else at the moment.

Once those settle we will see if we still have the disconnection issue and if we do then we will test those settings next.

I have not seen any common versions as of yet no, but the issue is very sporadic, so not easy to get users to report it reliably/properly and then draw conclusions on the data...

Thanks

I have not had anymore reports of this issue, having checked with the users, they say it's stopped... We have not changed anything to directly fix this issue. The only thing we have changed in this time is installing FSLogix 2210 hotfix 2, which was installed for something else.

Doesn't make sense to me, but if its fixed then I won't complain too much! Will report back if it starts again.

Further update to this, the issue is still happening, just had 2 more reports of this and a possible 3rd report as well.

I have confirmed that these 3, including the original user are all on workspace 2212, so I am going to try and put them onto LTSR 2203 CU4 and see how that goes.

When I went onto one of the users laptops to downgrade their workspace app, I uninstalled the app, which disconnected her session, re-installed and re-connected to the session fine. Director however still shows the session as disconnected... I can't help but feel this issue is related to the fact Director isn't seeing the right session status. But I don't know where that info comes from...

If still failing then I will try setting DisableGPCalculation and continue to monitor.

On 12/19/2023 at 1:08 PM, Stephan van Rens said:

Hi Chris,

Do you have an update?

We have the same issue over here.

Thanks.

Stephan

Hi Stephan

Unfortunately not. I think it is still happening, but honestly we have been so busy with several major projects and leave through Dec that it has gotten no attention recently. We will likely have to wait until these projects complete in 2 months time before we can re-visit it.

Please do let me know if you get any results!

Thanks