Welcome to our new Citrix community!

How to determine time / condition on which new ICA file is downloaded?

Andrei Vlad1709158202

Question

Hi everyone,

This is more for educational purposes, however, i am trying to determine in which way, or to better put it, what are the conditions that determine why/when/how a new ICA file is downloaded when you click on a desktop, on the storefront page?
If it bares any importance, the installation is currently an on-prem CVAD 1912 LTSR CU3 which will soon get upgraded, but i think the question stands for (at least) any on-premise version.

To put it more in context, as long as my storefront page session doesnt timeout, i can continuously download the same ICA file over and over again - as far as i could tell, even if my storefront page timed out, logging right back in and trying that desktop again gives me the same ICA file - but i know for a fact that if i login tomorrow, i will download a new ICA file (and the process repeats)

I am trying to determine what is controlling that and I am not sure at what setting to look, as i believe there are more factors involved, including the fact that, during the day, Director will "point" me to the same backend VDA server for quite some time, as long as the load evaluator index remains the same (this is my own assumption)

Any guidance on this would be appreciated!

If i have placed the question in the wrong forum, I apologize in advance!

3 answers to this question

What do you mean by "new"? Are you looking for differences in the files?

StoreFront generates an .ica file every time you click an icon. The contents of the file are based on communication with a Delivery Controller, which performs VDA load balancing, reconnects, etc. depending on the Delivery Group configuration in Citrix Studio.

• Like 1
On 8/23/2023 at 3:37 PM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

StoreFront generates an .ica file every time you click an icon. The contents of the file are based on communication with a Delivery Controller, which performs VDA load balancing, reconnects, etc. depending on the Delivery Group configuration in Citrix Studio.

Hi Carl,

sorry didnt see your reply.  Well, that was my point, if i click the same desktop icon once every, let's say, 1 or 2 minutes, i get the exact ICA file (at least from the name, not sure about content) but if i reconnect tomorrow and click on the same icon, it will be a different ICA file, name and content for sure.

Yes, basically i am trying to understand what dictates the differences - in the case mentioned above i can only assume there is a timeout at some point, or a different connection being made in the backend- but what i am looking to find out is WHAT makes that happen.

i am trying to attach an example of ICA files downloaded at only a few seconds apart (so i click on the Desktop icon, it downloads the ICA file, then i wait a few seconds and click again, and so on)

ica_downloads.png

On 8/23/2023 at 3:37 PM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

Thinking of the 2nd part of your answer, now my question kind of becomes "Is there a way to see what changes when the new(different) ICA file is generated, and is there a way control that? 
It may not be something feasible at all, but apart from a one-DC-and-one-VDA scenario, is there any way you could make an user download the exact same ICA file (content) over and over again?

LIke i said, this is more for understanding things, I am not going to put this in a real environment ?