Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Director not showing logon stats for 2203 Win Server 2019 VDA with FSLogix

Chris Gundry

Question

Hi all

We have 2012 R2 VDAs running 1912, using UPM and they show logon stats in Director just fine.

We have new 2019 VDAs running 2203 using FSLogix and they do NOT show logon stats in Director, nothing at all is shown in logon stats.

The Citrix Profile Management service is started on the VDA. Originally it wasn't as it wasn't needed for FSLogix, but started it when we realised it is apparently needed for Director stats, but still no stats.

Any suggestions on what the problem might be?

Thanks!

6 answers to this question

Sorry, should have been more specific. Under Trends>Logon performance I have nothing. No sessions listed, no graph nothing. This is the same for both Server 2019 /2203 VDA catalogs we currently have, but all 2012 R2/1912 VDA catalogs are fine.

I have not seen any data in that screen for any Server 2019 /2203 VDA catalogs, until just this second. I just looked at it again to double check the heading names etc, and for some unknown reason there is some data in there from Fri 28th (last Fri), and then 2 entries from this morning. This is the first time I have seen ANY data in there over the last 5 weeks or so that I have been working with these VDAs.

There is no common factor I can think of as to why these 11 sessions are listed from Fri and today. There were other sessions on Fri and today which are not listed. On Fri it's only listing sessions from what appears to be 2 out of 4 of the VDAs (01 & 02). I can't say if there were other sessions on those 2 VDAs (01 & 02), which were also not shown, but there would have been other sessions on the other 2 VDAs in the catalog (03 & 04), none of which are reported. The 2 sessions from Today are both from the same VDA (03).

All VDAs are MCS from the same gold image, and restarted nightly, so shouldn't be anything odd going on there.

Really puzzled what the issue could be. I have raised with Citrix, but they are being no help at all!

Was there a chance the UPM and UPM WMI wasn't included as part of the VDA install?

I have seen if those settings are not selected during the VDA install even turning on the services won't report correctly.

When I have seen similar items to this in the past I have had to do a full VDA uninstall and reinstall to get it to take affect.

4 minutes ago, Jeff Riechers1709152667 said:

Was there a chance the UPM and UPM WMI wasn't included as part of the VDA install?

I have seen if those settings are not selected during the VDA install even turning on the services won't report correctly.

When I have seen similar items to this in the past I have had to do a full VDA uninstall and reinstall to get it to take affect.

Hmm, you have me wondering now... We went with FSLogix, so UPM might have been unticked as not required, that makes sense. But we still see the 'Citrix Profile Management' service installed and the WMI queries Citrix asked us to run all returned what they were expecting. We see the events for 'Citrix profile manager' events in the event log for 'session ready' etc, when the service is running that is. So that all made me think it is installed... Is there any way to check what is/isn't installed component wise? If i try and 'change' the installed version it seems to want to uninstall rather than letting me see whats installed...

If not, I will see if I can do a VDA cleanup and re-install... Thanks!

OK, so I 'know' why some stats are appearing from Fri/today. Someone had pushed an image to those catalogs, but only partly rebooted them, which I wasn't aware of. For unrelated reasons, we were testing something in Server 2019, but using 1912 instead of 2203. The Server 2019 with 1912 VDAs ARE showing stats in Director.

So it's either:

1. 2203 wasn't installed with UPM enabled - I find this hard to believe because the service is there and we were using UPM originally before we went to FSLogix. But I would do another cleanup and re-install 2203 with UPM enabled to be 100% sure.

2. There is a bug of some kind in 2203 CU2 which is causing this to not work for us, but now on 1912 again it IS working.

Will do some more testing when I get time and try and remember to share the outcome.