Welcome to our new Citrix community!

New Microsoft Teams MSIX / Citrix integration

Question

5 answers to this question

4 minutes ago, Jeff Riechers1709152667 said:

I have been routinely updating the Teams client and Workspace, and have not seen any issues.

Are you having issues?

What I'm referring to is the new MSIX teams clients, not the traditional one that's been out for years. As far as I've been able to find, I don't see any documentation of VDI optimization with the new client between the workspace app locally and a VDA nor any indication in the team's client that any voice or video calls are being optimized like they do with the current client. So that's what I'm curious about. My testing has been hit or miss so it feels like pre-optimization state. The other issue. I've run into that isn't related to optimization since it happens locally on a laptop as well is we don't see a screenshare option in the new client

1 minute ago, Jeff Riechers1709152667 said:

Gotcha.  I really don't have any near term plan to migrate to that, at least until the optimizations are there.  But since they have been putting so much optimization support into them I don't see it being nearly as rough as it was with early Teams.

My worry is this new client is a total rebuild under the hood so I'm not sure the current method would work the same way but I'm hoping I'm wrong? and it sounded like it's a ready or not here it comes situation with the new teams and new outlook so this will be interesting

I don't think New Teams is available for VDI use yet.  I heard via our MS account rep that it will be later on this year before it is, you would have to hope they will work with Citrix to get optimisation working before that point.  Until that point though, optimisation won't be working at all.

As for the new Outlook - not impressed.  Doesn't work with standard COM add-ins, which is going to kill it in many enterprise environments before it's even launched.  We have simply disabled the little ticker for 'try the new Outlook' as we had so many issues with users on laptops.  It also doesn't currently support offline mode either, so presumably it doesn't have any way of caching emails - that sounds just great for performance, especially on VDI.   I tested it on a non-persistent VDI and found that even with FSLogix caching the profile, logging out and back in was enough to remove the store-based app (unsurprisingly).  There is a great deal of work to be done before it's ready for big customers.