Welcome to our new Citrix community!

FSLogix not compacting VHDX

Chris Gundry

Question

Hi

Wondering if someone can tell me what I am doing wrong/not understanding?

My understanding is that a VHDX is compacted if:

The VHDX is over 1GB

There is 20% whitespace free

Right?

So what am I missing, why does FSLogix think that compaction should not be run on this VHDX?

Log says:

Disk size results: WasCompacted: false, MaxSupportedSize: 31456214528, MinSupportedSize: 591281664, SizeOnDisk (Before: 1212153856 - After: 1212153856), Space Saved: 0, Compaction took: 235
Disk was not compacted, Reason: Not enough recoverable space for compaction.

Looking at the content of the VHDX, there is around 495MB of data in the container.
The log above shows min size is 591MB, so almost 100MB more than the actual data, but ok...

The current size is 1212MB, which is over 1024MB/1GB. Tick!
So we should be able to free up 621MB, which is more than 20%, its 50%. Tick!

So why no compaction?

I have manually compacted the VHDX and it is now 612MB... I need to understand why it thinks it shouldn't compact the VHDX because I have a few other containers that are similar.

Thanks!

5 answers to this question

Chris

are you using FSLogix exclusions/redirection.xml file?

it could be that FSLogix is counting that data before compaction/unloading, but you're looking at the size after that data has been exclused?

regards

Ken Z

On 7/5/2023 at 12:49 PM, Jeff Riechers1709152667 said:

I would post this over on the MS fslogix forums.

Also check out this link.  https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/fslogix/overview-faq#why-is-vhd-disk-compaction-not-running-or-not-recovering-the-space-i-expect

If you use anything except Normal direct access, it won't compact.

Thanks for the reply. Yes, I will look to post on the FSlogix forums also.

We have not configured 'type' for profile or ODFC, so we are using the default direct access, so as far as I see should work.

No potentially related errors that I can see in the logs either ?

On 7/6/2023 at 4:45 PM, Ken Zygmunt said:

Chris

are you using FSLogix exclusions/redirection.xml file?

it could be that FSLogix is counting that data before compaction/unloading, but you're looking at the size after that data has been exclused?

regards

Ken Z

Hi Ken, thanks for the reply.

Not 100% sure I follow. Yes, we are using exclusions. But when I said that the profile size is 1212MB I am looking at the VHDX file on disk. So that would be excluding the excluded data...? So it's over 1GB with the excluded data removed. So should be compacted?

Or are you suggesting maybe that FSLogix is computing the potential savings, without looking at what has been excluded? If so then that is seemingly a very poor design decision, no? Do you have any reason to think that is what is happening from something you have seen before or something, or is it just a potential guess?

Thanks!

5 minutes ago, Chris Gundry said:

Hi Ken, thanks for the reply.

Not 100% sure I follow. Yes, we are using exclusions. But when I said that the profile size is 1212MB I am looking at the VHDX file on disk. So that would be excluding the excluded data...? So it's over 1GB with the excluded data removed. So should be compacted?

Or are you suggesting maybe that FSLogix is computing the potential savings, without looking at what has been excluded? If so then that is seemingly a very poor design decision, no? Do you have any reason to think that is what is happening from something you have seen before or something, or is it just a potential guess?

Thanks!

Chris

I was assuming you were using something like TreeSize Free to check the size of your %USERPROFILE% folder while you were logged in. In the past this counted the files that were the local_<user> folder too. if your VHDX file is 1.2 GB and the redirections entries are also counted, that might push the %free space to below 20%. Just a thought.

Regards

Ken Z