Welcome to our new Citrix community!

FSLogix exclusions not honoured?

Chris Gundry

Question

Hi all

I can't work out if I am missing something or not here...

This is a new FSLogix deployment in initial POC at the moment, but looking to roll out ASAP.

I have exclusions for various things like Chrome cache etc. All set to copy="0".

I login as a fresh user, use Chrome for a bit, log out.

I know the redirection.xml is being loaded, I can see it in the logs. If I load the VHDX using the FSLogix config tool I see all my exclusions listed. If I compare c:\users\username to c:\users\local_username I can see that the local version only has the folders that have been excluded. But the content of the excluded folder is also in the profile container folder... But obviously the point of excluding it is that you DONT want it to be in the profile container. I want to ensure all the chome cache etc stays in the local_username profile and gets binned at the end of the session, never cluttering up the VHDX file/bloating it out.

This is not just an issue with Chrome, I am seeing it with all the locations as far as I can tell.

Any ideas what is wrong/what I am missing?

Thanks!

UPDATE: I think I worked out what is happening...

It seems that c:\users\local_username is where anything from the session that is excluded goes to. So if you exclude google cache, it goes here.

However it ALSO seems to go to c:\users\username as well. THEN, when you log out, if its an excluded folder, it dumps everything in BOTH locations of locations.

My understanding was that

c:\users\username WAS the content of the VHDX

c:\users\local_username was the TEMP/excluded/local copy and things in there would NOT go into the VHDX.

But given that I saw things going into c:\users\local_username AND into c:\users\username at the same time, this didn't make sense.

My new understanding is that it seems to go to c:\users\local_username AND c:\users\username as well... THEN, when you log out, if its an excluded folder, it dumps everything in BOTH locations of locations?

I guess my new understanding is correct? (forgetting any added complications by using copy="1/2/3")

Thanks

Edited by Chris Gundry

2 answers to this question

On 7/5/2023 at 12:51 PM, Jeff Riechers1709152667 said:

So when you look at it live it may be a redirection from the profile to the local directory.

Try mounting the profile when users are offline to see if the data is there or not.  Some may have been populated before you put in the redirections.

Check out my wiki on this in more detail.

https://www.jeffriechers.com/wiki/keeping-fslogix-profiles-small/

Hi Jeff. Thanks for the reply and for your site, I have read it a fair bit!

Yes, I think thats the issue. I was told that:

c:\users\username WAS the content of the VHDX - So shouldn't see any of the excluded data in there

c:\users\local_username was the TEMP/excluded/local copy and things in there would NOT go into the VHDX.

This seems to be incorrect and within c:\users\username I can see excluded data.

If I mount the VHDX itself after log off, then the excluded data is NOT there. So I think I was given a bad steer by someone... 

Thanks