Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Restore a backup on a Citrix VPX ADC

Good day,

I'm trying to build a lab for testing with the configuration on my Netscaler. I haven't done much on the lab image, just downloaded the same version, mounted it on Vmware, added the IP and the user and when I try to upload the backup it says "Not authorized to execute this command". I tried creating a new superadmin user and nothing. I tried connecting to the Netscaler with winSCP to upload the backup via FTP and I receive the following error 

No connection could be made because the target machine actively refused it.
Connection failed.

If someone have an idea of what would be the issue please let me know

If you are using the backup made from the system backup command (or in the GUI under system backup) that particular backup can only be imported/restored on the ADC appliance that made it. It can't be used as a "restore from backup" to bring a new system up to a given state.

You can extract the backup, and restore the individual files to the new ADC. Be aware that you will create ip conflicts so be sure your test adc is fully isolated from the network.

On 6/24/2023 at 5:10 PM, Rhonda Rowland1709152125 said:

If you are using the backup made from the system backup command (or in the GUI under system backup) that particular backup can only be imported/restored on the ADC appliance that made it. It can't be used as a "restore from backup" to bring a new system up to a given state.

You can extract the backup, and restore the individual files to the new ADC. Be aware that you will create ip conflicts so be sure your test adc is fully isolated from the network.

Good day,

Thank you for your answer. How can I do that specifically? Regarding the Ip yes, I have it in a lab environment totally disconnected from de network so that won't be an issue

If you create the system backup on appliance1, you can download from appliance and extract as a .zip (.tar) can't remember.  If password protected you will need the password to extract.

Then you can copy the subfodlers from /nsconfig/<stuff> to /nsconfig/ of the new appliance

Copy the folders from /var/<stuff> to their respective /var/<subfolders>

You can be selective depending on your config.

Once files are copied to the test adc (and again, must not be in conflict or otherwise online as this will duplicate names/ips/etc...), you can reboot the appliance and review your settings.

Otherwise, you have to scrape your config as batch commands (manually) to run as cli commands on new system, but can be done more selectively.

If you care comparing a vpx to vpx, this works well. If you are moving from hardware to virtual, then networking interfaces and other details may be affected. Any setting not recognized is ingored an not applied, so you may end up with dependencies that aren't present.