Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Office 2016 license not saving from DaaS MCS deployed machines

Matt Kozlowski

Question

Not sure if anyone has run into this one. Previously we leveraged PVS and didnt really have issues with Office licensing. We just embedded the key on the gold image and deployed out with PVS. We also used UPM (not sure if maybe its a profile thing?). Now that we've moved to DaaS, we're leveraging MCS and FsLogix. The key is embedded in the image, but users are running into activation prompts.

I did embed the key after logging in with an admin profile that may or may not be tied to FsLogix (have to confirm).

Do we have to switch over to leveraging Volume Activation Service with Office? Or how do other folks manage their keys (if not using O365)?

6 answers to this question

On 6/14/2023 at 10:49 PM, James Kindon said:

There are some considerations you will need to look at if you want to use MAK activation on your image with MCS (new) 

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/install-configure/machine-catalogs-create.html#volume-licensing-activation

You are going to be way better off with a KMS or ADBA based activation setup if you can get one in place

Have been having quite a time with this one trying to locate our KMS "host" keys. I recently tried installing VAMT as an attempt to manage both windows and office activations (it supports the use of MAK keys) but the thought occured to me... How will this work for non-persistent desktops? Even if i activate a device in the database, once it reboots, wont it just forget everything i just did?

ADBA looks like it requires the KMS host key which im still trying to locate. It doesnt appear to be able to utilize MAK keys.

23 minutes ago, Matt Kozlowski said:

Have been having quite a time with this one trying to locate our KMS "host" keys. I recently tried installing VAMT as an attempt to manage both windows and office activations but the thought occured to me... How will this work for non-persistent desktops? Even if i activate a device in the database, once it reboots, wont it just forget everything i just did?

ADBA looks like it requires the KMS host key which im still trying to locate. It doesnt appear to be able to utilize MAK keys.

Can confirm... i just tested this out. After the non-persistent desktops rebooted, they just went back to their default unlicensed state. So is ADBA and KMS the only way to now license both windows and office installations deployed with Citrix? There's no way to utilize MAK for both Windows and Office with a non-persistent DaaS MCS deployed VM? The article above mentions a possible registry adjustment for windows activation, i havent tested this yet. But it doesnt mention Office i dont think... unless i missed it.

On 7/16/2023 at 9:00 PM, James Kindon said:

I doubt Citrix did any work with MAK and Office - likely just windows. We have always needed KMS or ADBA to handle your scenario

I can only speak from personal experience, but prior to Windows 10 we didnt need to leverage KMS for activations with PVS (Windows XP or Windows 7). It just worked with MAK. But that could also have to do with how Microsoft handled their licensing. Post windows 10, we definitely needed KMS for the OS. Office on the other hand continued to work fine with a MAK license activated on the gold image. All subsequent clones when provisioned through PVS were activated.

In any event, it appears MCS handles the cloning process a bit differently. MAK does not appear to work for Office activations. I may have had some luck on the OS side but i wasnt able to continue testing because i finally was able to locate our KMS host keys with the help of MS support. So i kind of shifted gears into setting up the ADBA deployment with KMS.

So far looks good. Will continue testing to confirm. I'll post the final solution in a few because there were some additional details that might be a bit confusing for others.

So i think we finally have things working. Below are my findings.

MAK - I didnt get to fully test this on the OS. While it may work for the OS, it definitely did not work for our Office deployment. So if you're going to auto-activate Office, you're going to need a KMS deployment. If you're going to proceed with MAK keys on the OS, there are a few tweaks you may need to make outlined in this article:

https://www.citrix.com/blogs/2016/04/04/machine-creation-service-image-preparation-overview-and-fault-finding/

These changes require the installation of Citrix SDK on a machine in the environment. SDK documentation and download i believe can be found here:

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-daas/sdk-api.html

What ultimately solved our issue as a whole was deploying Volume Activation Services on a server, configuring it for Active Directory Based Activation (ADBA), and leveraging our KMS keys.

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/deployment/volume-activation/activate-using-active-directory-based-activation-client

(Note: you dont actually need the VAMT tool, though it can be helpful)

Your OS client keys can be found here:

(these get installed on the image)

https://learn.microsoft.com/en-us/windows-server/get-started/kms-client-activation-keys

The Office Volume License Pack needs to be installed on the server hosting volume activation services

These can be found in the URL listed above for ADBA. A direct link to the Office 2016 Pack can be found here:

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=49164

The confusing part you may run into:

Office doesnt require a second key for KMS like your OS might.

To enable KMS with office, you remove any installed keys (in my case i had to remove my MAK keys)

This article was helpful

https://www.wintips.org/fix-office-always-asking-for-activation/

The Office KMS key you need is not listed in your licensing portal as a "host" key. This is what confused me because we had an entry for Office Pro Plus Key Management Service Host which was empty. There was no key associated with this entry. The KMS key you need is located in the regular entry for Office Pro Plus which also has your MAK keys... I thought this was originally installed on the client, but it is not. This is your "host" key and what gets installed on the VAS (Volume Activation Services) server. The client has no key installed. It just auto-activates via ADBA.

Your OS does require two keys in the deployment.

The client key can be found on the URL i provided above. That gets installed on your OS. The host key will also not have an entry as a "host" key in the licensing portal. Instead, the host key is found under the regular entry for Windows 10 or whatever version you are using. This is the same entry that also has your MAK keys. Both MAK and KMS will be listed here. This KMS key is your "host" key which gets installed on the VAS server.

Once the keys are all installed and the server is set up for ADBA, the clients should begin auto-activating. You may need to update your catalogs to push out the updates.

Anyway, this is what worked for me. A big thanks to James as well for the ADBA recommendation. This definitely made life easier.