Welcome to our new Citrix community!

MCS Master Image details

Bril licenses

Question

I have inherited this Citrix VDI environment hosted on a Nutanix HCI.

I want to find the Master Image of a MCS machine catalog so that I can install some Patches.

below is the output of the get-procscheme command.

Get-ProvScheme -ProvisioningSchemeUid(Get-BrokerCatalog -Name "MC-XD-2103-DEV-MCS-W10-STATIC").ProvisioningSchemeId | select MasterImageVM

MasterImageVM

-------------

XDHyp:\HostingUnits\CTX_VLAN_234\XDSNAP_CAP_W10DEV_MCS_2103_190921.template

the get-childitem command in the hostingunits lists lot of snapshots but the template I am looking for is missing. I also cannot find any VM in the inventory by such name.

I am able to deploy new VDIs in the catalog. 

how do i find out the snapshot and VM for the same.

2 answers to this question

22 hours ago, Bril licenses said:

I have inherited this Citrix VDI environment hosted on a Nutanix HCI.

I want to find the Master Image of a MCS machine catalog so that I can install some Patches.

below is the output of the get-procscheme command.

Get-ProvScheme -ProvisioningSchemeUid(Get-BrokerCatalog -Name "MC-XD-2103-DEV-MCS-W10-STATIC").ProvisioningSchemeId | select MasterImageVM

MasterImageVM

-------------

XDHyp:\HostingUnits\CTX_VLAN_234\XDSNAP_CAP_W10DEV_MCS_2103_190921.template

the get-childitem command in the hostingunits lists lot of snapshots but the template I am looking for is missing. I also cannot find any VM in the inventory by such name.

I am able to deploy new VDIs in the catalog. 

how do i find out the snapshot and VM for the same.

Could you try a recurse on the exact path to see if it returns. 

------------------

Get-ChildItem -Recurse -Path 'XDHyp:\HostingUnits\CTX_VLAN_234\XDSNAP_CAP_W10DEV_MCS_2103_190921.template'

--------------------

If it doesn't return then I suspect that snapshot\template was deleted after the catalog was created. 

During catalog creation or update a copy of that .template is created and sent to each datastore that is configured in the host connection. The VM's that are created are then delta disks that are linked to the each parent disk that exists in those storages. 

If you add new machines to this catalog they will use these copies in each local datastore so there is no dependency on the master template anymore. 

https://portal.nutanix.com/page/documents/solutions/details?targetId=TN-2051-Citrix-MCS-on-Nutanix:mcs-inner-workings.html