Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Mouse cursor disappears in applications like word/outlook/notepad

Question

we have a dell laptop Vostro 5625 with AMD CPU and Graphics (AMD Ryzen 5 5625U with Radeon Graphics - 6)

whenever a user connects to citrix desktop from this laptop , we see cursor issues where mouse cursor disappears in applications like outlok/word/notepad etc. 

we tried latest workspace,  and LTSR versions.  tried latest AMD graphics driver/software , still no luck.

tried changing DPI etc with no luck.

tried connecting to citrix desktop for vaious clients and doesn't matter which version its running issue is there for every session. 

kind of permanant issue. not sure if its due to some graphics card or size of laptop screen which is 16",   

we never had this issue with any other laptop/desktop.  and if we connect to same citrix desktop from any other laptop/device  then there are no such cursor issues. 

Regards

Harry

On 8/1/2023 at 4:00 PM, Dan Oconnor1709163943 said:

Thanks for the update.  Keep us posted please!

Newest information is that Citrix IDD is causing the issue, because there currently is a limitation with IDD as default display adapter when using CWA for Linux. Citrix has made IDD since CVAD 2303 upwards as default (it is not well documentated in CTX237608). So possible workaround is to set DOD (if you don't have a GPU) or Nvidia (if you have a GPU/vGPU) with a value of DWORD "3" (HKLM\Software\Citrix\Graphics\AdapterMerits) as seen in the Citrix Support Article for the Display Adapter Priority. You can test with DXDIAG or with the Citrix Graphic Status Indicator Tool or looking in the Windows GUI for the Display Adapter Properties which one is in place in the user session.

I tested it today as a workaround and the issue is gone when IDD is not the display adapter. So we gave the ball back to Citrix in first step to know what they are planning now, fixing the CWA for Linux compatibility (?) or what they recommend for productive scenario in the future CVAD releases related to the display adapter priority, in my view if they "pushing" and forcing IDD as default like they do now, they should documentate it better and also communicate limitations like this. Not everyone is using CWA for Windows..We will see..

You can test it too if it helps you or if your issue has another root cause.

(Short addition: They try to release a fix within CWA for LInux 2308 or the following one, but it's not official until now)

Edited by Jens Belting
  • Like 1
11 hours ago, Dan Oconnor1709163943 said:

Hey Jens,

I added the reg entry and the IDD driver is still showing up and the issue persists.  Any ideas?

Adaptermerits.PNG

I compared it to some of our customer environments. If you would have GPU in place you can use the vendor adapter (but i would guess you don't have a GPU in that case).  Our VMWare ESXi environments  without GPU looks like your one, there is no CitrixDOD Adapter..just the Citrix IDD (and the VMWare SVGA console adapter). So perhaps this is the default behavior now, not sure. In our XenServer environments (with GPU) there is the Citrix DOD in the device manager still present in the list, but because of the GPU we use there the vendor or the IDD. Perhaps you can make a Citrix Case to ask if this is the expected behavior. So registry key is not working i guess because the adapter is not there in general.

Or you can wait until CWA for Linux 2308 is released which should have a fix.

• Like 1
6 hours ago, Evan Ractivand said:

HP have released an update thinpro-citrix-23.8.0.39hp3-66197. I will be testing it tomorrow on some thin clients to see if the issue is resolved. We run a Xen environment and do not have GPU's active in our servers, so hopefully this Workspace client update finally resolves the issue with our AMD GPU based ThinPro t640 machines

I've tested this yesterday (had to do a factory reset, update didn't work) and i have a working mouse cursor again! ? Hope you'll see the same results.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Stefan Wielers said:

You could try to change the mouse pointer scheme to "Windows Black (system scheme)" inside the session.

_mouse.thumb.png.46db24c1a496b1c93fc822c599889b46.png

it was the very first thing I tried when I noticed this problem the first time. To my great surprise the black cursor dissappeared just as well. That's when I realized the problem runs deeper

Update: I have opened Citrix CASE 81812600 as well as provided the case assigned engineer with this public discussion thread for follow up. In addition we did some testing and troubleshooting and found the following new and relevant information:

-The cursor does not go invisible in fact but turns from color black to color white whenever it hovers over an editable field (=enter text) where the default Windows mouse cursor typically is being replaced by the so called "text cursor" as shown below:

image.png.c29ff53e70c7dd85aadb8685d9328d00.png

Since this cursor's color turns from black to white on affected machines it gives us the illusion of dissappearing alltogether in text editable fields with a white background but I noticed that if you do the same in the body of an email that has black text in it you can in fact see this exact cursor in White color as you move it over black text or other black background.

On a Windows 2019 server inside the VDA I do not see any options to forcibly change the cursor color other than these:

image.thumb.png.7cc8723a2005e2d82c47645a91ca7f03.png

and these also seem to have no effect on the problem or those settings are being completely ignored as the cursor stays white no matter what I select here.

Also interesting to note if someone else sees your screen through Team sharing they WILL see the text cursor correctly in black color while you yourself do not ! Also if you freeze the image with a screenshot capturing tool for instance then in that frozen moment where you make a screen selection you will also see the cursor in the correct color so it's really some sort of emulation error.

Finally the problem also happens in RDP sessions, not only in Citrix ICA sessions

8 minutes ago, Andy Vanderbeken said:

Update and conclusion: I just received the solution from the Citrix case assigned engineer and verified it successfully so I'll just copy paste it here for all of you:

"We have checked and found that AMD had driver issues."

It's fixed in their latest release: https://www.amd.com/en/support/kb/release-notes/rn-rad-win-23-4-1

image.thumb.png.c1f717173ed8254b131cc947cc2063cd.png

Have a great day !

we have allready tried 23.4.1  with no luck. issue is still there. 

Dennis we are also seeing this issue, and it also appeared after VDA 2212. Are you by chance running Citrix Workspace App(Receiver) from a Linux machine? We are using IGEL OS, but need to verify we can replicate the issue when accessing a Windows Desktop from Windows Citrix Workspace App. 

30 minutes ago, Devan Tilly said:

Dennis we are also seeing this issue, and it also appeared after VDA 2212. Are you by chance running Citrix Workspace App(Receiver) from a Linux machine? We are using IGEL OS, but need to verify we can replicate the issue when accessing a Windows Desktop from Windows Citrix Workspace App. 

Hello Devan, yes we are running the linux version of the workspace app on thin clients, we couldn't replicate this on a windows machine but could replicate the same problem on a dedicated linux laptop.

Same issue on HP ThinPro 8 OS based on Linux. The Linux base on that OS is quite old and the AMD driver is also quite old (19.1.0-1) and cannot be updated, as far as I know there is no such Linux based fix as the "OverlayTestMode" in Windows so we are stuck with cursors disappearing over italics and other text in Word, Outlook etc.

11 hours ago, Evan Ractivand said:

Same issue on HP ThinPro 8 OS based on Linux. The Linux base on that OS is quite old and the AMD driver is also quite old (19.1.0-1) and cannot be updated, as far as I know there is no such Linux based fix as the "OverlayTestMode" in Windows so we are stuck with cursors disappearing over italics and other text in Word, Outlook etc.

Thanks for the Thinpro 8 feedback, that was something we still wanted to test.

We now have a case open with both Citrix and HP, since the problem started showing with VDA 2212 and we are using thinpro 7.2 for a while already.

On 5/23/2023 at 6:00 AM, Dennis van der Velde said:

Thanks for the Thinpro 8 feedback, that was something we still wanted to test.

We now have a case open with both Citrix and HP, since the problem started showing with VDA 2212 and we are using thinpro 7.2 for a while already.

Hi Dennis,

Have you gotten anywhere with HP or Citrix support yet?  We are running HP thin clients anywhere from t620's running Thinpro 7.0 to t640's running Thinpro 8 and none of these had an issue until updating the VDA in the Citrix Layered image to 2303 (previously we were running 2012).  All versions of the thin clients we run experience this issue.

Hello Dennis,

We too are having the same issues, but we use Dell Optiplex 3000 thin clients.  Our Windows based thin clients do not have the issue.  We are using 2203.

Citrix_Workspace_App_22.3.0.24.6.pkg-V22.3.0.24.6

Imprivata_PIE_7.11.001.0045.48.pkg-V7.11.001.0045.48

ThinOS_2303_9.4.1141.pkg-V9.4.1141

Please let us know if you find anything out with Citrix or HP.  Thanks!

On 6/6/2023 at 7:10 PM, Ryan Haller said:

Hi Dennis,

Have you gotten anywhere with HP or Citrix support yet?  We are running HP thin clients anywhere from t620's running Thinpro 7.0 to t640's running Thinpro 8 and none of these had an issue until updating the VDA in the Citrix Layered image to 2303 (previously we were running 2012).  All versions of the thin clients we run experience this issue.

On 6/8/2023 at 4:29 PM, Dan Oconnor1709163943 said:

Hello Dennis,

Please let us know if you find anything out with Citrix or HP.  Thanks!

Hello Ryan and Dan,

Our ticket with HP wasn't read and they just send us a new thin client, i've now escalated the ticket and waiting for a response.

Our Citrix ticket was put on hold for the time being, we're soon going to upgrade to a new VDA version but first tests are also not looking good with that :/

..We also have the issue that the mouse cursor/iBeam (the typical thext marker type of cursor) is getting white/transperent/disappear in search fields from browser, windows searchbox and in text fields/main window of MS Office apps like Outlook. Primarly when there should be the "iBeam" Cursor. CVAD 2303 on XenServer 8.2 LTSR CU1 with NVIDIA vGPU profiles (A16/A40), different images have the same issue (Win10/WinServer22). Endpoints are Dell TC3000 Thin Clients (CWA for Linux, 2209, 2302, 2305) and it also occurs for example when having CWA for Windows (latest, 2305) in fullscreen mode (in window mode it doesn't occur with the CWA for Windows). At first we thought it is a Linux problem only, but during the tests we now see it too on Windows. Not really sure about the root cause. We tried to upgrade to CVAD 2305 on VDA side, but we have some issues with that (ctxuvi errors and so on), so that we stay for the moment with CVAD 2303 on the VDA. Not opend a Citrix Case until now, that would be the next step.

Is this similar to your problems? Anyone with a valid fix or valid information from Citrix?

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Jens Belting