Welcome to our new Citrix community!

My users profiles are huge and growing

Mark Ellis1709163820

Question

My users profiles are huge and growing.  Using Treesize I have locate the following directories that are a major problem:

\\MyCompany.com\dfshare\CITRIX_XD7\HSD_Profiles\%username%\UPM_Profile\AppData\Local\Google\Chrome\User Data\Default\Service Worker\CacheStorage
\\MyCompany.com\dfshare\CITRIX_XD7\HSD_Profiles\%username%\UPM_Profile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Cache\Cache_Data
\\MyCompany.com\dfshare\CITRIX_XD7\HSD_Profiles\%username%\UPM_Profile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Edge\User Data\Default\Service Worker\CacheStorage

And the whole M$ Teams directory:  \\MyCompany.com\dfshare\CITRIX_XD7\HSD_Profiles\%username%\UPM_Profile\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Teams

It appears to me that too many programmers are using AppData as a repository for their junk.

Some of the roaming profiles are up to 6GB with 1GB plus being common.

I have a 3 part strategy to combat the problem.  (This cunning plan is from my servant Baldrick.) This is:

1. Install new ADMX and ADML files for Citrix, Edge and Chrome.
  2. Put the directories shown above into the exclusions policy.
  3. Clear out these directories with a logout script.  (This is because the exclusion policy won't get rid of existing cached files.)

What I would like assistance with is:

• What is the syntax I should be using for the exclusions policy?  I have seen lots of sites where the syntax looks quite different.
  • What should the exclusion policy with Teams going to be?  I don't know what can be excluded and what can not.  (What the F*** are Teams .exe files doing in the profile?)
  • Any recommendations on what my logout script should look like?  Should I use a simple series of del \path\*.* commands or is there something better?

2 answers to this question

There are many references to all of these scenarios online, Citrix document this stuff pretty well where they can, otherwise you can google for community recommendations

For Teams - https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/multimedia/opt-ms-teams.html#profile-management-recommendations

For Chome - https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/profile-management/current-release/integrate/google-chrome.html

For Edge -> start with Chrome and Adapt

On 3/20/2023 at 10:33 AM, Mark Ellis1709163820 said:

Clear out these directories with a logout script.  (This is because the exclusion policy won't get rid of existing cached files.)

This is not entirely true, look at the logon exclusion check policy, UPM will clear up after itself based on what you tell it to do https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/profile-management/current-release/configure/include-and-exclude-items/enable-logon-exclusion-check.html