Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix Viewer on MacBook with high input lag in windowed mode

Kevin Kramp

Question

I'm using the recent Citrix Viewer App (2301) on a brand new Mac and I'm having a high input lag using it in windowed mode.

My specs are:

• MacBook Pro 16" 2023
  • Apple M2 Pro
  • 32 GB
  • macOS Ventura 13.2.1 (22D68)

A high input lag means that typing takes up to 2 seconds to be reflected in the client. Also mouse clicks have this kind of lag. The lag is sometimes shorter sometimes longer.

What is really strange is that when using the light client in the Browser (HTML-5) or using the Viewer in Fullscreen mode the lag does not apply.

Using the light version is not an option due to an issue with the wrong keyboard layout. Using Fullscreen is also not an option as I have to use other apps on the host in parallel.

I already tried the following solutions to sort things out:

• Switching Firewall on/off - no difference
  • Using Wifi/LAN - no difference
  • Using mobile hotspot - no difference
  • Using different network - no difference
  • Using the Viewer window on different Screens (MacBook, Thunderbolt-HDMI, USB-C) - no difference
  • Using Intel/ARM version of app - no difference

I have tried also on my old MacBook with the following specs:

• MacBook Pro 16" 2019
  • Intel CPU
  • 16 GB
  • macOS Ventura 13.2

Using the Viewer in windowed mode feels like working locally - no input lag.

I'm really confused about the situation. It seems like the Mac is treating the windowed mode of the app differently causing these lags.

4 answers to this question

Hey Kevin Kramp

Could you give us a video to demonstrate this issue?  We want to confirm what issue is. Typing lag may relatives keyboard IME.

I also tested Citrix Viewer App (2301)  on 13'' M2 2022 with macOS 13.2.1. I did not found any input lag.

Another question:

Did you enable HDPI?

Thanks

On 2/25/2023 at 2:25 PM, Jeff Riechers1709152667 said:

I have seen this before. You need to increase the video memory in the citrix policies.

When you go windowed mode it increases the background rendered environment so that it can handle you moving the window around anywhere in that layout.

But when you go full screen it hard locks the background resolution.  

Thank you for your response Jeff. Assuming the citrix policies are maintained on the end of the citrix host (server side) the policies might affect hundreds of citrix clients and not only mine. It's a big enterprise providing virtual desktops to their contractors like me. I will go that way when everything is sorted out on my end. 

On 2/27/2023 at 8:24 AM, Hailong Li said:

Hey Kevin Kramp

Could you give us a video to demonstrate this issue?  We want to confirm what issue is. Typing lag may relatives keyboard IME.

I also tested Citrix Viewer App (2301)  on 13'' M2 2022 with macOS 13.2.1. I did not found any input lag.

Another question:

Did you enable HDPI?

Thanks

Hi Hailong. No, I'm using the client not with HighDPI enabled. Switching it makes no difference.

No to the really strange part of the story.

I did a screenrecording using the MacOS recording feature using the client in windowed mode.

When doing so the client behaved without any lag.

At the moment I stopped the recording the lag came back.

So I used my mobile to do screen recordings. Hope the links are working as uploading files here is quite limited. You can see the lag with the blinking curser and the typing of letters. So it's not only input but also screen displaying related.

windowed mode: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1jqlCIMvsM3bpONZUgTxq2kAZUOstyTkO/view?usp=share_link

fullscreen mode: https://drive.google.com/file/d/1kgVc1oATmgW-aAdDixr-XClGoTn2rpMC/view?usp=share_link

With the phenomenon of the above mentioned screen recording I opened a MS Teams call with sharing the screen with a coworker and guess what - he could not see the lag I'm experiencing on my own screen.

In the meantime I'm expecting the issue to be related to MacOS screen buffering.