Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Best Practice for OST file placement in Citrix Profile Server

smansor216

Question

Hi all,

We are using Citrix 1912 LTSR and we are moving to MS Exchange online soon. The design that we are looking for is to store users Outlook Ost (cache mode enabled) files in one location (on-prem) so that when user logs in to any of the Citrix servers he or she will load the OST files from local and download the latest email to Ost gradually . Can anyone show us where should we configure in the GPO for best practice to have the ost to be placed in one of the profile server in prem?.

11 answers to this question

15 hours ago, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

FSLogix is the preferred way of doing that. There is a GPO that can move the OST to a file share but that would be file-based IO. Whereas FSLogix uses block-based IO to accomplish the same. Block is usually more efficient than file.

Hi again Carl,

In our environment we don't use UPM and we are using GPO set for profile management. I do not want to change the design as what I understood if we use FSLogix we need change the entire profile behaviour. We do not want to do that. 

On 3/1/2023 at 9:39 AM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

FSLogix Office Container only handles Office caches. It does not replace your existing profiles.

Hi Carl,

Do you have the exact configuration for Outlook ost files diversion to another location if we set the Outlook to be in cache mode? The earlier KB which you gave was jumbled everything in.

On 3/6/2023 at 7:19 PM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

Thanks Carl!

I had tried setting up FSLOGIX services in Citrix Gold Image and on the GPO, what I can see it formed up   xxx.vhd file residing at the location set. Is the outlook ost file residing in this XXX.vhd file container? If it is, lets say if it corrupts how do we reset it?

The main intension is to keep the ost files from all the users on one local server so that when they login in the morning, they don't pull their ost from the cloud instead will pull the ost from the local server. Pulling ost directly from the cloud may result heavy congestion to the Network. Please advice.