Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Office 21 activation issues with user layers.

Darin McClain

Question

I'm having some issues keeping Office 21 activated with user layers. Only a user reset fixes it, and not for long. Office 19 has been fine for years.

I've checked the machines first before the user logs in, they are activated, but after login, it's not. Running a script to activate succeeds, but is broke upon a reboot.

I have hundreds of student machines working in productions for months now with no issues; they do not use user layers. I create these student templates from the same appliance/layers. 

Any suggestions?

9 answers to this question

Hi Darin,

Engineering just told me they found what was causing this.  

To work around this issue you could add a revision to their OS layer, and use regedit, navigate to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\unirsd, add a MULTI_SZ field called ExcludeKey and set the value to \Registry\Machine\SYSTEM\WPA. 

Let me know if this solves your issues.

• Like 1

Hi Darin,

I am sorry to hear you are having a problem maintaining activation with Office in your App Layering image. We are not aware of any issues with KMS activation for Office 2021, with User Layers enabled in the image. If you can raise a support case and submit logs from your environment we would be happy to investigate it further.

Thank you,

Dan

We had to do a few things to get office activation to work with our user layers..

On the managed desktops without UL.. to your point it worked great with little setup, but the desktops with UL we found some reg keys were causing issues i believe (its been several months since we set it up)

Not sure if you've done any of these and obviously test these setting in QA first as our environment is likely very different and these might not even apply to you.

But check the follow regekys and see if they might apply to you:

EnableADAL

DisableAADWAM

DisableADALatopWAMOverride

BlockAADWorkplaceJoin

autoWorkplaceJoin

SCLCacheOverride

And the following GPO Settings:

Use shared computer activation

Since upgrading to 22.11.0.1004 I've seen Office activation fails, Windows activation fails and other odd Microsoft licensing errors for the store apps. I also put in a ticket for what I'm seeing.

Looks like this another user is running into the Windows activation errors after they updated to 22.11 also: https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/418097-windows-activation-not-sticking-in-user-layers/

On 2/21/2023 at 9:42 AM, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

Hi Darin,

Engineering just told me they found what was causing this.  

To work around this issue you could add a revision to their OS layer, and use regedit, navigate to HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\unirsd, add a MULTI_SZ field called ExcludeKey and set the value to \Registry\Machine\SYSTEM\WPA. 

Let me know if this solves your issues.

Sorry Rob, not sure how I missed this reply!

I assume I can't just do this on an already exported image, has to be done on OS layer and re-exported, correct?

Is there an AppLayering update coming out soon to address this that I should wait for instead? I'm running windows updates on my OS layer now to prep for a new image export.