Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Manual reboot Citrix Delivery Controller

Zulhadi Zainal

Question

Hi. Just seeking anyone advise here. I have 2x unit Citrix Delivery Controller (DDC)  and plan to do manually reboot of both DDC (not a schedule reboot) only for the activity without involve other citrix component

. Can you advise, before I power off both DDC server, is it need to power off all the VDA or put them into maintenance mode? Or I can just let the VDA power on and proceed to to shutdown the DDC one by one? Please advise right way to do it.

6 answers to this question

Just reboot them one at a time.   A reboot usually only takes a couple of minutes, so I doubt anyone will even notice.  VDAs connected to that one will initially go unregistered, but that won't affect anyone logged into them already.  And once they go unregistered, they will immediately start trying to register to the other one.

Make sure the first one is back up fully before you do the second though - give it a good few minutes gap.

5 minutes ago, Michael Burnstead1709159565 said:

Just reboot them one at a time.   A reboot usually only takes a couple of minutes, so I doubt anyone will even notice.  VDAs connected to that one will initially go unregistered, but that won't affect anyone logged into them already.  And once they go unregistered, they will immediately start trying to register to the other one.

Make sure the first one is back up fully before you do the second though - give it a good few minutes gap.

Hi Michael,

Thank for your response for this matter. Can I verify something with you as per you advise above?

1) In the Citrix environment, if we have 2x Delivery Controller (primary and secondary), is it meaning currently all VDA is connected to primary DDC? If anything happened to primary, then all the VDA will re-registered to secondary VDA? Or it load balance between that 2x delivery controller?

2) If it load balance between 2 delivery controller, is it can check it delivery controller in which VDA is registering to that Delivery Controller? 

Hope you can give me input on this. Thanks

On 2/3/2023 at 5:08 PM, Zulhadi Zainal said:

Hi Michael,

Thank for your response for this matter. Can I verify something with you as per you advise above?

1) In the Citrix environment, if we have 2x Delivery Controller (primary and secondary), is it meaning currently all VDA is connected to primary DDC? If anything happened to primary, then all the VDA will re-registered to secondary VDA? Or it load balance between that 2x delivery controller?

2) If it load balance between 2 delivery controller, is it can check it delivery controller in which VDA is registering to that Delivery Controller? 

Hope you can give me input on this. Thanks

I think it will be load balanced, and if you go to studio and add the Broker column you can see which of your delivery controllers brokered which VDA.

9 hours ago, Jeff Riechers1709152667 said:

Also the Delivery Controllers don't really need to be rebooted often.  I will usually just setup 1 to do Window Updates on a Saturday, and the other on a Sunday to guarantee 1 is always up for users to access.

Hi Jeff,

Thank for your input. Vey appreciate it. Thanks