Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Windows Activation not Sticking in User Layers

Jimmy Bouma-Holtrop

Question

This might be something I have to open a support case about, but I figured I would start here.

I recently updated my ELM from 2206 to 2211 and then updated the Machine Tools in my OS layer, that process automatically re-runs the setkmsversion.hta app. That all worked fine and I sealed up my OS layer and re-published.

Now my test users are having the Windows Activation watermark show up in their desktop session. When I run the command "slmgr.vbs /dlv" it shows no license installed. I've confirmed this is only happening with EXISTING user layers, if I publish a desktop without user layers enabled Windows Activation shows correct, and if I log into a user layer-enabled desktop with a fresh user layer it's also good. I even remotely checked the log files under c:\windows\setup\scripts\kmsdir on a computer with nobody logged in and it all looks good. So, it seems like there's something stuck in our user layers that's overriding the normal Windows Activation process that happens when the desktop starts up. Has anyone had this type of issue before? I could probably create a scheduled task to re-run "slmgr /ato" at user login, but I'd rather do this the right/clean way if possible. 

Thanks.

5 answers to this question

The way our scripting works is that from the kmssetup.cmd which should run from a boot gpo we call runipkato.cmd which the utility you are talking about loads with a script for the version of windows you are using,  So for win10 enterprise its call runipkwin10e.cmd.  That script does an 

call slmgr /ipk NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43 >>runato.log 2>&1

to enter the win10 ent key

Then runato.cmd is called which does the slmgr /ato

So unless you somehow got the kmssetup.cmd so its not running all of this should be working.  

The runato.log should show you what is happening and any errors you might be gettting.  If you dont have that log or the kmssetup.log in kmsdir htne the ksmsetup is probably not fireing so check you local group policy for boot scripts

41 minutes ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

The way our scripting works is that from the kmssetup.cmd which should run from a boot gpo we call runipkato.cmd which the utility you are talking about loads with a script for the version of windows you are using,  So for win10 enterprise its call runipkwin10e.cmd.  That script does an 

call slmgr /ipk NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43 >>runato.log 2>&1

to enter the win10 ent key

Then runato.cmd is called which does the slmgr /ato

So unless you somehow got the kmssetup.cmd so its not running all of this should be working.  

The runato.log should show you what is happening and any errors you might be gettting.  If you dont have that log or the kmssetup.log in kmsdir htne the ksmsetup is probably not fireing so check you local group policy for boot scripts

runato.log shows that it activated when the machine last refreshed in VMware: 

------------------START---------------------- 
Thu 02/02/2023-12:26:12.81-runipkwin10e.cmd: 
Thu 02/02/2023-12:26:12.81-runipkwin10e.cmd:Running IPK 
Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.812
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Installed product key NPPR9-FWDCX-D2C8J-H872K-2YT43 successfully.

Thu 02/02/2023-12:26:17.27-runipkwin10e.cmd:Running ATO 
Microsoft (R) Windows Script Host Version 5.812
Copyright (C) Microsoft Corporation. All rights reserved.

Activating Windows(R), Enterprise edition (73111121-5638-40f6-bc11-f1d7b0d64300) ...
Product activated successfully.

------------------END----------------------- 

That's why I'm thinking it might be something that got stuck in my user layers. Especially since a new/fresh user layer is good. 

If I accidently ran windows activation in user layers once would that cause this issue? I don't recall ever doing that, but it seems like one of the only things that could explain this. 

Thanks.

6 minutes ago, Rob Zylowski1709158051 said:

I don't know.  If the machine was activated when a user layer was attached I think it might write activation info into the user layer but I am not sure what that means.  If you just run the ato again after the user layer is mounted does it activate?  I would open a case for this.

I manually ran the "slmgr /ato [product key]" command earlier today and it took, but now I'm in a new session and I just got the watermark show up.

I'll open a case. Thanks for your thoughts.