Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Why would Workspace app match an auth policy for Web browsers?

Hello all,

We have 3 authentication policies bound to an authentication virtual server:

Priority 70 (web w/ nFactor decision): HTTP.REQ.HEADER("User-Agent").CONTAINS("CitrixReceiver").NOT

Priority 100 (receiver w/ only radius):  HTTP.REQ.HEADER("User-Agent").CONTAINS("CitrixReceiver")

Priority 110  (web w/ only radius): HTTP.REQ.HEADER("User-Agent").CONTAINS("CitrixReceiver").NOT

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I'm somewhat perplexed b/c when I use the Workspace installed application, I appear to be hitting the first web policy.

From my understanding, I should not match on Priority 70 and move down to the Priority 100 policy, simply because I'm not using a web browser. 

The reason I say it appears to be matching the first web policy is because the nFactor decision is made and I get the login schema according to that decision.

There are no AD group decisions to be made on the bottom two policies...

I can also see my nFactor decision policy being hit when I tail NS.log

Any ideas what may be happening here? Is it possible to match on multiple policies? 

1 hour ago, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

nFactor in Workspace app uses a browser (and its user-agent header) to perform authentication. You can do a network trace to see what user-agent is reported by Workspace app when authentication is performed.

Ah, yes, now I remember reading about that a while back. I had forgotten nFactor actually uses a browser within the app. 

Appreciate the tip about network trace. That will help me build a better policy. 

Thanks Carl!

On 2/2/2023 at 5:34 PM, Keith Giles1709159890 said:

Ah, yes, now I remember reading about that a while back. I had forgotten nFactor actually uses a browser within the app. 

Appreciate the tip about network trace. That will help me build a better policy. 

Thanks Carl!

I had the same problem, so I did a trace from different client OS / Devices and list these in a post, see https://www.julianjakob.com/citrix-adc-nfactor-user-certificate-authentication-or-the-demystifying-of-user-agent-header/ 

The Header for Workspace App‘s Browser Engine is CWAWEBVIEW

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/4/2023 at 5:51 AM, Julian Jakob said:

I had the same problem, so I did a trace from different client OS / Devices and list these in a post, see https://www.julianjakob.com/citrix-adc-nfactor-user-certificate-authentication-or-the-demystifying-of-user-agent-header/ 

The Header for Workspace App‘s Browser Engine is CWAWEBVIEW

Most excellent information, Julian! Thank you for sharing.