Welcome to our new Citrix community!

OneDrive Container BSOD

Riley Foster

Question

Hi All,

Working on a new environment and running into issues with the OneDrive container. It seems that as soon as the user (or OneDrive) attempts to access the OneDrive folder, the VDA blue screens. It happens 100% of the time. Disabling the OneDrive container policy resolves the issue, but obviously OneDrive doesn't work.

The dumps always seem to point to things that have to do with file redirection and file system filters, so I'm suspecting there is some issue with the redirection or mounting of the OneDrive folder to the container. 

OS is Server 2022, latest updates

VDA is 2212, but it also happens with 2209.

Anyone else run into this? I've opened a TAC case, but they're saying to open a case with Microsoft.

Thanks!!

16 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Xiao Yi1709162947 said:

Hi,

Could you please share the case number or some details of the callstack from the dump analysis?

Thanks!

image.thumb.png.915070c8436619b7846364523edd40fd.png

I also have seen crashes to do with rdbss.sys and fltmgr.sys, but I don't have those minidumps because the VDAs are non-persistent and were rebooted.

Case# is 81656699

11 hours ago, Paul McCran1709162838 said:

We've been testing this feature also.  At first we thought it was related to a windows patch , but can confirm that as soon as onedrive containers are enabled the VDA blue screens.   Is there a fix for this ?

Thanks

No, we opened a case with Microsoft and they pointed back to Citrix. Citrix then pointed back to Microsoft and then everyone went dark. Apparently, they got in touch with each other directly and we're out of the loop on the status.

We tested this on Server 2022 and Server 2016.  Both on premise and on a cloud platform.  On all occasions, as soon as OneDrive containers are enabled and the user either manually or auto logs on to OneDrive, the Synch starts and the server then Blue screens.  

Citrix informed us yesterday that it's Microsoft, due to a .dmp file being generated.  I informed Citrix that it does not happen when OneDrive Containers are not used, so it's clearly related to their OneDrive container feature.

Still no updates. Microsoft is still analyzing all our full memory dumps we've provided and they're not providing any feedback. I've informed Citrix that there apparently is an internal case between Microsoft and Citrix for this, but they can't find it and want us to ask MS for the case information.

Microsoft says that "this is a complex analysis and might take more time than what was originally stated". 

So, it seems there is definitely an issue somewhere and they do know about it, but they're not releasing any information.

42 minutes ago, Paul McCran1709162838 said:

Hi Riley,

Did hear anything back from  Microsoft or Citrix? 

If you need us to chip in with memory dumps on the case number then let me know.

Paul

Nothing to report. They keep asking for memory dumps and they keep reporting that they can't see anything in the dumps to point to the issue. I sent them a fresh set of dumps at the end of last week and they were supposed to get back to me this week.

On 5/19/2023 at 11:50 AM, Paul McCran1709162838 said:

Hi Riley,

Anything new on this from Microsoft?  I'll open a call with Citrix and Microsoft.  Thanks

Paul

Nothing. Microsoft contacted me a couple weeks back to discuss a "workaround". Turns out their "workaround" is they don't know what the issue is. We're providing complete memory dumps and they can't find the cause of the crash. They want us to send them the complete VM and try running it on a different hypervisor (We're on Nutanix AHV).

Just wanted to chime in that I'm currently seeing this as well in my lab environment when testing and evaluating the OneDrive container. Running Server 2022 with latest patches, latest OneDrive client and running PVS.

One question, are you using ELM to create your images? I know there's a registry setting for FSLogix where you need to adjust something called altitude when installing it on an ELM-image. Just thinking if this might be a clue to what's going on.

In my case this issue started after a few days of testing. I've made a few changes recently and will test more in the coming days, but I'll just add that the issue appeared when I added the onedrive folder to the excluded directories setting in UPM. Might be worth a look.

Just wanted to add here, that the issues in my lab went away when I removed the OneDDrive - <Company label> folder from "Exclusion list -  directories" under Profile Management\File system and disabled profile streaming. Might be able to get profile streaming working with the right exclusions or inclusions, but for now I have it switched off.

If this doesn't apply to you might be worth checking if something is messing with the folder / mount in some way. Antivirus or some other file sync / backup solution perhaps?

1 hour ago, Mikael Andren1709163933 said:

Just wanted to add here, that the issues in my lab went away when I removed the OneDDrive - <Company label> folder from "Exclusion list -  directories" under Profile Management\File system and disabled profile streaming. Might be able to get profile streaming working with the right exclusions or inclusions, but for now I have it switched off.

If this doesn't apply to you might be worth checking if something is messing with the folder / mount in some way. Antivirus or some other file sync / backup solution perhaps?

The environment I'm working on does not currently have any exclusions for Profile Management (it's a PoC/Test setup for now). We did have a Windows policy under System\User Profiles that excluded "SkyDrive" from the roaming profile. I disabled that, but it didn't resolve the issue. I also updated the VDA to 2303 with no change. As soon as a user clicks next on the OneDrive sign-in after the folder selection screen, the server blue screens.

Edit: Profile Streaming is also disabled

Riley

Curious if you had any update on this?

I've seen a few blue screens in my lab since my last post, though they were less frequent after the changes I mentioned before. I've since added a few new exclusions in my anti virus and so far no new blue screens. Exclusions were added both on the file server hosting he vhdx-files excluding any .vhdx in the profile share as well as a few on the VDA that were missing after updating from 1912 LTSR to the latest CR.

So I've been running FSLogix instead of the UPM OneDrive container for a few days now with zero issues. Additional benefits have been that sign ins are quicker both for the desktop in general but also for OneDrive itself. Drawback is that the profile size is much bigger, though that might be fixable by tweaking the exclusions.

I'm guessing no updates yet from Microsoft or Citrix?

Hi All,

I just wanted to chime in that I too had BSOD VDAs when signing in to OneDrive with UPM-C in play for OneDrive. For me I had to upgrade the entire lab environment to CVAD CR 2305 with the Outlook hotfix. Originally we had left the lab at CVAD 2203 LTSR CU2 (CU3 was not out yet) and only upgraded UPM component to CR 2303.

This happened for Windows 11, Windows 10, and Server 2019 VDAs. After the upgrade it worked on all O/S I did not have to change my configuration at all, it just worked.

To set this up I used these references:

Microsoft Article: Set up OneDrive in Citrix Virtual Apps - SharePoint in Microsoft 365 | Microsoft Learn

James Rankin: QuickPost – Citrix UPM Profile Containers feature – JAMES-RANKIN.COM

Citrix Article: Enable the OneDrive container | Profile Management 2305 (citrix.com)

Thx

J