Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Upgrade Citrix servers to Server 2019

Bill Clark1709159029

Question

In our current Citrix 1912 LTSR CU1 environment, we have a license server, x2 StoreFront/Director servers and x2 Studio servers, all running Windows Server 2012R2.  We need to migrate these back-end servers to Windows Server 2019 sooner rather than later.  I was thinking the easiest way to do this would be to install the same version of StoreFront/Director to new server(s) running Windows Server 2019, joining them to the current Citrix environment, and then do the same with new Studio servers.  Once all 4 servers are in and testing looks good, I'd remove the 2012R2-based servers and then test some more before deleting them.  Has anyone done something similar to this?  Is there something I could be missing that would prevent this scenario from playing out as planned?  Thanks.

10 answers to this question

23 hours ago, Bill Clark1709159029 said:

In our current Citrix 1912 LTSR CU1 environment, we have a license server, x2 StoreFront/Director servers and x2 Studio servers, all running Windows Server 2012R2.  We need to migrate these back-end servers to Windows Server 2019 sooner rather than later.  I was thinking the easiest way to do this would be to install the same version of StoreFront/Director to new server(s) running Windows Server 2019, joining them to the current Citrix environment, and then do the same with new Studio servers.  Once all 4 servers are in and testing looks good, I'd remove the 2012R2-based servers and then test some more before deleting them.  Has anyone done something similar to this?  Is there something I could be missing that would prevent this scenario from playing out as planned?  Thanks.

We are going through this exact situation right now. Our databases were on an older version of SQL, so we decided to move those first to SQL 2019. We are now building 2 new DDCs in each site and adding them to the existing 1912 LTSR environment. Once we verify everything is good, we'll remove the old 2012 R2 DDCs and run through the 2203 upgrade on the new 2019 DDCs.

• Like 1
On 12/16/2022 at 3:30 PM, npatel287 said:

We are going through this exact situation right now. Our databases were on an older version of SQL, so we decided to move those first to SQL 2019. We are now building 2 new DDCs in each site and adding them to the existing 1912 LTSR environment. Once we verify everything is good, we'll remove the old 2012 R2 DDCs and run through the 2203 upgrade on the new 2019 DDCs.

Nice to know I'm not the only attemping this at the moment.  Let me know what unknowns you run into and I'll try to do the same.  Once I get the new DDCs and StoreFront/Director servers into the mix and verified, then I'll migrate the databases to new SQL2019 servers before removing the old DDC & StoreFront/Director servers.

Working through this process and mostly smooth so far, but I did have a question for Carl, or in reference to the information he guided me to.  Under the steps for upgrading the Director servers, what "director data files" need to be copied to the new servers?  We have done no customization to Director, so I'm not really sure what data files we would need to copy to the new servers.  I did a basic install, pointed to the existing Controller servers and Director launched just fine with everything functioning.  Thanks.

Thanks Carl.  I had overlooked that the first go around.  I have the Delivery Controllers and License server switched over to new servers running the new OS and things are good.  Finishing adding the new servers for Director to the Netscaler(ADC) for load-balancing, will make the switch of removing the old servers this evening.  One question I did have, is regarding StoreFront.  It is mentioned in your guide that it is not supported to mix OS versions for servers hosting StoreFront, does it simply fail or do odd things happen in the environment.  I'd be much more comfortable if I could make the transition to the new servers over a day or 2 instead of having to just swap them out all at once.

StoreFront installed fine on the new 2019 servers and then I was able to join them to the existing Server Group using the "add machines" feature and it worked perfectly.   The 2 new servers were added and synced just fine.  After an hour or so, I shutdown the Citrix services for StoreFront and also disabled IIS for Director on the old servers and everything has been running happily and is stable.  I will remove the entries for the old servers from the Netscaler(ADX) appliances this weekend and power down the old servers.  Thanks for those guides and all your help!