Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix Viewer uses low power GPU, possible cause of extreme lag?

Wessel van Norel

Question

I'm experiencing extreme laggy sessions, doing something that changes the screen a lot can cause a delay of > 30 seconds. Now in the logs I'm seeing:

| 11-30-2022 | 13:15:06.122 | 39061 | 1 | ICARemoteViewFactory.m |   79 | +[ICARemoteViewFactory RemoteViewWithFrame:seamless:viewDisplayID:] |    TC_TW |     TT_API1 | Selected Low power Metal supported GPU: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630

Is there a way to force Citrix Viewer to use the AMD Radeon Pro 5500M 4 GB that is also in this MacBook?

3 answers to this question

Hi, Wessel

By default, it uses low-powered GPU.

So could you please double check if there are multiple GPUs in your machine? 

If yes, you can run command "defaults write com.citrix.receiver.nomas PreferDisplayGPU -bool YES" in terminal.

Then re-launch session to have try again. 

Looking forward your response. Thanks in advance.

Jia

Hi Jia,

Thanks for getting back to me on this.

Yes I'm sure that I've 2 GPU's, on both my 2017 as my 2019 MacBook Pro, see screenshot of the 2019 edition. On both I'm getting the same results, the energy monitor still says that the Graphics Card is not being used. And Citrix is still behaving very slow for me. 

But the log record is different after using your setting command.

Before:

| 12-02-2022 | 13:27:19.135 | 81850 | 1 | ICARemoteViewFactory.m |   79 | +[ICARemoteViewFactory RemoteViewWithFrame:seamless:viewDisplayID:] |    TC_TW |     TT_API1 | Selected Low power Metal supported GPU: Intel(R) UHD Graphics 630

Check if Setting is there
❯ defaults read com.citrix.receiver.nomas PreferDisplayGPU -bool YES
2022-12-02 13:31:17.854 defaults[82131:3825222]
The domain/default pair of (com.citrix.receiver.nomas, PreferDisplayGPU) does not exist

Change setting
❯ defaults write com.citrix.receiver.nomas PreferDisplayGPU -bool YES

Check settings again
❯ defaults read com.citrix.receiver.nomas PreferDisplayGPU -bool YES

After:
| 12-02-2022 | 13:47:17.924 | 83160 | 1 | ICARemoteViewFactory.m |   79 | +[ICARemoteViewFactory RemoteViewWithFrame:seamless:viewDisplayID:] |    TC_TW |     TT_API1 | Selected High power Metal supported GPU: AMD Radeon Pro 5500M

I'm trying to get rid of the behaviour as shown in the video I made: https://we.tl/t-WRPk3lEWrw. A we transfer link since it's about 250 MiB.

This is not my normal work, but it demonstrates the behaviour I'm experiencing. The Citrix feedback to my local machine slows down a lot and then after I stop working it catches up. Connecting to the same environment from a Windows 11 machine results in being able to scroll in this file just fine. It's only on my MacBooks that it's misbehaving. 

I hope you are able to help me get rid of this behaviour.

Thanks a lot.

Kind regards,

Wessel

mabcook-2019-info.jpg

high-cpu-no-graphics-card.jpg

Edited by Wessel van Norel
Was a bit too much direct to the point