Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix UPM Containers - additional Questions

Baumgartner AG

Question

Dear Members

I have contacted Citrix Support twice about this topic and I got different answers from two different engineers. That's why I am going to ask those questions here.

I run several delivery groups with single-user OS (Win10) and also Multi-user OS (Server 2019). I have assigned UPM Policies to all delivery groups and we use store-based UPM configuration in productive enviroment. 

Now I want to try out UPM Containers for a delivery group which contains 2 test VMs (Win10), just to play around with Containers and see if my Office 365 problems can be solved with Containers.

Now to the Questions:

1. First thing I recognized is that "Enable Containers" is not available as a Citrix Policy in Citrix Studio. I have configured all my Citrix policies in Citrix Studio in the past, but it seems that Container enablement has to be configured in Microsoft GPO editor. Is it possible to assing this setting/policy to a delivery group via GPO editor? Because I only know about computer or user assignment, but not delivery group.

2. Is it possible to have a mix of store-based profiles and containers in the same site? The first citrix engineer told me that if I assign the "enable containers" setting to only particular computers I can leave the productive delivery groups running with store-based profile management. The second Citrix engineer told me that this is a global setting and store-based profiles will be disabled for all delivery groups as soon as I enable containers... But I wonder how this can be global if I only assign it to some test-VMs...? Maybe someone here can bring a little light into this.

Thanks in advance and have a nice day.

5 answers to this question

Profile Management is configured through registry keys on each VDA machine. The keys can be delivered by Citrix Policy, or they can be delivered by GPO. I usually prefer GPO.

GPOs can be linked to an OU that contains a specific set of VDAs. Only those VDAs receive the registry keys from the GPO. Other VDAs not in the OU are not affected. This is unrelated to any Citrix construct, like Delivery Groups.

• Like 1
32 minutes ago, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

Profile Management is configured through registry keys on each VDA machine. The keys can be delivered by Citrix Policy, or they can be delivered by GPO. I usually prefer GPO.

GPOs can be linked to an OU that contains a specific set of VDAs. Only those VDAs receive the registry keys from the GPO. Other VDAs not in the OU are not affected. This is unrelated to any Citrix construct, like Delivery Groups.

Hi Carl

Thanks alot for taking your time to help me out. 

I normally assign my GPOs to computer- or usergroups. So as I understand this correctly: If I assign the UPM Containers Policy to a group of test-VMs then only these particular VMs will have Containers enabled, and all other VMs will still use the store-based UPM configuration from the Citrix policies which are assigned to delivery groups? 

Thanks in advance

On 11/10/2022 at 12:56 PM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

Yes. GPOs usually override Citrix Policies.

Hi Carl

Thanks alot for your help and information. I've tested Containers in my Win10 VDA test-enviroment and it works great. 

Now if you don't mind another simple question: Is it also possible to use UPM Containers with multi user OS aka WIndows server 2019? I kinda had some issues to find any information about how this works. Will there be a seperate Container VHDX attached to a VDA server for every user that launched a desktop?

Thanks in advance