Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Sizing WC of Windows 10 target devices

Question

For the Windows 10 target devices I intend to use "Cache in device RAM with overflow on hard disk".

These target devices will run financial apps which requires an importan use of memory RAM, I have a couple of user profiles which requieres 16 GB and 32 GB of memory RAM.

Due to the requirements of the apps, the desktops cannot be shared, so they will be persistent, each user will loggin to the same  desktop every day.

My question are, how to estimate the size of the write cache disk? is there any formula?

and, in the OS, do I need to configure the page file as custom (at least 1.5 times the size of the memory RAM)?

Thanks in advance.

3 answers to this question

First of all Provisioning Server does not support persistent desktops - you need to use MCS to create persistent desktops, or adopt something like UPL or other profile management support tool to persist user changes.

Once you decide which of these to implement then we can talk about how to size pagefile and cache disk (if using non-persistent).

Simon

By "persistent" desktop, this is being used to describe "statically assigned, or dedicated non persistent desktop? So the question is about "Single-session OS machines with a static assignment" or similiar?
And thats the mechanism to give some users desktops with more resources, even though the desktops are non persistent and using the same vdisk, same machine catalog and same delivery group?

Write cache sizing needs consideration against the user workloads, the applications they use, and the volume of data expected to be written to the C drive.

Page file size, in general you can leave windows to manage the size, except if you have concerns about limited cache drive size in combination with large memory allocation to eac VDA, and need to define the upper limite to ensure sufficent free space for expected write cache consumption by PVS.

Besides "page file" and "cache disk size", is there any rule of thumb / suggestion / recommendation as to the ratio/percentage of the actual RAM to be configured as RAM cache "RAM buffer".

We have been using "Cache on device RAM with overflow on hard disk" option for quite a while, but now contemplating increasing the setting for performance in some intense graphic applications, without overkilling the published devices.