Welcome to our new Citrix community!

LB defined as RADIUS fails. UDP works. Why?

Hi all,

I am working at a customer, helping them migrate from one Radius based auth to another. They have the following environment, and hold on to your chairs now! NetScaler MPX 7500 with 13.0 build 87.9nc in a HA pair. USNIP mode is active, but no snip has been defined. Instead they have a MIP in the same subnet as the NSIPs.

I've configured a LB defined as RADIUS that shows as UP. However, when I create the basic auth RADIUS server, the "Test RADIUS reachability" fails.

I created another LB defined as UDP. Created a basic auth RADIUS server with this one and the "Test RADIUS reachability" is OK.

I ran a trace on the Netscaler and we actually saw the RADIUS messages being sent from both LB and received a reject from the RADIUS server as expected. The logs one the RADIUS servers also shows this.

We tried to do a live test and as expected, when using the auth policy with the UDP LB , it works. We tested the policy with the RADIUS defined LB, and it fails.

Can someone please help me understand why this is happening?

Thank you all.

-oWe

• 4 weeks later...

Hi,

Had similar issue with a 13.0-87.9 VPX (on SDX).

Radius not working when Radius auth was pointing to a LB.

Tested with UDP that didn't work either for me.

Strange thing was that ICMP and Radius monitor did work when bound to Service Group.

Found that if I created a Net Profile (with same SNIP as traffic used without the Net Profile) and bound that to the Service Group then it worked.