Win10 sessions dropped immediately after reconnecting

Mike_B

Question

Got a strange problem here - for a couple of months, we have an intermittent issue where users working from thin clients struggle to reconnect to their sessions after their sessions were left disconnected.  The desktop reconnects OK but after just a few seconds it will just drop without warning or error message.  This might happen several times before finally they can reconnect, after which it will work perfectly for hours with no more issues.  Machines are across several catalogs, all internal connections, currently running VDA 2203 CU1 and the endpoints (and only these endpoints) are Wyse ThinOS devices.

Perhaps not a coincidence, we updated the VDA on the machines in July, firstly to 2206 (which broke Shadow) and then down to 2203 CU1 in August.  The problem has persisted though.  I have tried updating the Workspace version on the thin clients, but that seems to have made little or no difference.  I am now testing a subset of machines with the 1912 LTSR VDA installed, but it would be a shame to have to roll back to that as the improvements to Teams optimisation are significant in the later VDAs.

I have seen multiple threads of similar issues but they all seem to relate to Server VDA rather than Workstation.   The issues do seem to be around reconnection issues though, rather than new session, so quite possibly related.

Anyone else seen similar?

4 answers to this question

Yes!  I had the same problem.  I would get disconnected immediately and usually twice when moving from a windows initiated session to my dell ThinOS thin client.   It most certainly had to be dell related.  This happened on our 5070's and 3040's

What firmware are you?  Dell just dropped 9.3.2102 and so far my issue is gone. My team has also seen better improvements when adaptive audio.

Many of my clients are running a version of ThinOS 9.1, I did try the 2205 version but it was no better.  You are right, though, Dell did just drop a newer one again, so I will get that (and presumably the associated Citrix Workspace update?) onto some test terminals ASAP.

Thanks for the response though, glad to know I'm not alone!   We too are largely seeing this when people move from Windows endpoints to Wyse endpoints - they tend to WFH on laptops, and then use Wyse when they come into the office.

May be a stupid question but have you checked the shortcut and reconnect options in the Workspace App on the affected clients?  CWA on the client machine > Advanced options > Shortcut and Reconnect > Workspace Control Support under the Reconnect Options tab

I've had users report similar behaviour to me as far back as 6 months ago, though my memory is foggy of when it first started. Disconnected sessions would open on screen for a couple seconds before closing (sometimes popping back up on screen another time before closing again). Would only affect disconnected sessions, new ones were unaffected. Disabling Workspace Control Support on the endpoint resolved it for sessions launched from that machine. I believe there's also a method to mange the setting centrally https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/storefront/1912-ltsr/manage-citrix-receiver-for-web-site/workspace-control.html

It's an interesting point Chris - I think these machines (and they are Wyse terminals with a sort of modified CWA - they are controlled centrally) do have auto-reconnect enabled.

I now have two testing sites, one with the latest CWS and Wyse ThinOS, and another with auto-reconnect disabled.   Let's see how they go this week...