Welcome to our new Citrix community!

(12.5 with 2206.1) 700-1200% CPU usage / unresponsive UI or WindowServer CRASH

Miklos Moricz

Question

I've copied the Feedback from the Mac OS app, because originally I assumed this is a Monterey issue. As it turned out later, this is definetely a Citrix Workspace issue.

Important note: I cannot upload the 16,9 MB diagnostic zip file, because it exceeds the 2 MB limit.

Title for your feedback:

700-1200% CPU usage / unresponsive UI or WindowServer CRASH

Which area are you seeing an issue with?

System Crashes/Unexpected Reboot

What type of issue are you reporting?

Application Slow/Unresponsive

What kind of System Crash did you experience?

System Freeze (Manual force restart required)

Findings (until the beginning of August):
- ultra-wide screen is plugged in, all in all there are 3 display with the bult-in retina of the MBP
- start of some multimedia playback, e.g. Youtube in Chrome (measured 14:14-14:26, at 14:26 the kernel_task reached ~ 700% CPU usage)
— IMPORTANT note: stopping the playback does NOT stop the exponential CPU usage of kernel_task
- AFTER starting a Citrix Workspace session (remote desktop) the CPU usage jumps immediately to over 20%, then it just last 1-2 minutes to reach CPU usage over 7-800%

Latest findings (with the newest version of Citrix Workspace):

• there is no need for external display to reproduce, the retina display of MBP 2019 (16") is enough, but Intel processor is necessary, on M1 or such I cannot reproduce the issue.
  • (like in the previous findings) start of some multimedia playback, e.g. Youtube in Chrome (measured 14:14-14:26, at 14:26 the kernel_task reached ~ 700% CPU usage)
    • OR start a MS Teams meeting (only voice) and watch the screencast of the other participant
  • after less than 1 hour the CPU usage hikes over ~ 700% CPU usage and the user interface of the whole system slows down
  • in order to normalize the situation I need to kill, not quit, all Citrix processes. If I only quited the Citrix processes, the CPU usage still remained at the same level, even if there were no Citrix Desktop open.

I've already backtested couple of versions until 2204, but none of them helps. As I already have an annoying workaround, I'd be happy about a useful solution or configuration hack.

Update 08/19/2022: latest Monterey update 12.5.1 (21G83) does not change the behaviour!

2 answers to this question

Update on 08/19/2022 and 2nd workaround: 

Turn off the Jitter Butter (audio redirection something, don't ask me)

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX277464/citrix-workspace-app-for-mac-osx-udp-audio-redirection-causing-high-cpu-spikes-for-citrix-viewer 

This is still not a solution, because...

a) something is broken and according the the KB article this workaround need to be applied each time you start the Workspace or maybe a Session?

b) at the moment I don't need any audio for the remote session at all, but there is no option to turn it off ^^ 

Hope, this helps anyone, because I've already wasted now about a month troubleshooting the cause of the issue and at least the workaround seems to work, but I'll provide feedbacks later on.

Update on 08/19/2022 and 2nd workaround: 

Turn off the Jitter Butter (audio redirection something, don't ask me)

https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX277464/citrix-workspace-app-for-mac-osx-udp-audio-redirection-causing-high-cpu-spikes-for-citrix-viewer 

This is still not a solution, because...

a) something is broken and according the the KB article this workaround need to be applied each time you start the Workspace or maybe a Session?

b) at the moment I don't need any audio for the remote session at all, but there is no option to turn it off ^^ 

Hope, this helps anyone, because I've already wasted now about a month troubleshooting the cause of the issue and at least the workaround seems to work, but I'll provide feedbacks later on.

PS: I might have celebrated too early, because after disconnecting the session after a while the CPU usage hiked to ~ 400% and stayed their. Maybe there is a correlation between Citrix Workspace process and ultra-wide screen, which I excluded in a previous comment/statement.