Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Migrate from UDP/folder redirection-home drive to OneDrive for Business

Eric Chamberlin

Question

I am running CVAD 1912 with MCS, Server 2019 hosts, Citrix UPM and I redirect known folders (Desktop and Documents) to the users' H: drives.  I'm being told those H: drives are going away in lieu of OneDrive.   Current profiles can be reset when moving to a new solution for all users.  I don't use FSLogix or UPDs in conjunction with the profile solution currently being used for CVAD but have worked with both of those in RDS.  

I've been reading some about the OneDrive Container preview in 2206.  Do you have a sense of when OneDrive Containers is officially part of CVAD?  Mostly, it mentions keeping profile for the Office Suite in those but I have other applications, like SAS, that need to write data to \Documents when it launches.     Will this solution cover that?  I've also seen mention of KFM (Known Folder Move) but that seems to migrate the current profiles to OneDrive.  It is acceptable to start new profiles with this new solution but is KFM also part of the puzzle for making this happen?  I've also read about solutions that use FSLogix Containers to keep the C : drives from filling up due to syncing.

Which of these do I need to incorporate a new profile solution for CVAD that will accomodate OneDrive and making the Documents and Desktop folders point to OneDrive, instead of local to the host?

3 answers to this question

I got sidetracked by multiple other things so never got back to work on this.  Here are the things that I had found on my way to making this work:

1. In order for it to be a decent user experience, especially when using published applications, you need to have Onedrive autoconfigure and use SSO, set via GPO.  This way it is there for the user upon login, without the user having to do anything.  This is key.
  2. For the SSO to happen, the Citrix hosts have to use Azure AD (AAD) Hybrid Join (HJ).  In AAD Hybrid Join, the machines have a machine account in the on-prem domain and there is also a machine account in AAD. For AAD HJ to work, certain OUs must be designated for it.  Otherwise, it will never work. 
  3. Once the machines are in the proper OU, you can use the dsregcmd command and its switches to check the status, /join, /leave, etc. I haven't really started working on this yet (again, sidetracked) but for this to work properly in a Citrix MCS, non-persistent scenario, you just set a scheduled task on startup to join AAD and test whether it gets confused when linked-clone VM machines in a Machine Catalog are spun up.  I believe a command to leave is necessary too, as a scheduled task, on reboot/shutdown.
  4. ADFS (Active Directory Federation Services) is also a requirement for this to work.  
  5. You should never AAD HJ your master/golden image servers... only the Citrix hosts that get cloned from them via MCS.
  6. While this seems technically possible, it doesn't seem like it is supported by Citrix or Microsoft, as they would much rather you to pay them for cloud resources, every CPU cycle and bit of disk storage.  This is speculation on my part so take it with whatever size grain or salt you deem necessary.  
  7. Once the above is set up and working properly (if I ever get it working as I want), then will be the question of redirecting known folders there (Documents, Desktop, etc).  Microsoft seems to have provided the means to do this but I haven't played with it yet.  (known folder move)
  8. There is also the matter of syncing the Onedrive cache in the context of a profile management solution.  The answer there seems to be FSLogix Office Containers, with or without Citrix UPM. 

Again, I got sidetracked and haven't been able to test any of the above but this is what my research showed me as a plausible solution.  If none of this works, it can always be done in the cloud but I assume you have onprem resources you'd like to leverage, otherwise, you wouldn't be looking for the same answers as me.  Citrix and Microsoft seems content to be "strategically vague" when it comes to showing how to do things like this because, again, they want to sell cloud services.

Good Luck and I'll update this if/when I do start implementing and testing.