Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Workspace 2206 Self Service fails to launch for non-admin users

Paul Oliver1709163529

Question

We've been updating our Workspace clients from 2105 to 2206 and have found a number of machines where the Self Service application fails to open.  Looking in task manager SelfService.exe is showing as running however no window opens and checking in the Windows Application error log there's an error:

Faulting application name: Receiver.exe, version: 22.6.0.29, time stamp: 0x62ba93b3
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.19041.789, time stamp: 0x82dc99a2
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0009d132
Faulting process ID: 0x3b6c
Faulting application start time: 0x01d89cf242529938
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\receiver\Receiver.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report ID: e82691bd-6560-4508-bc1b-c586d2749ad2
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

The ucrtbase.dll on the machine is the latest version and is the same version on machines that appear unaffected so I suspect this may not be the real cause.

Interestingly if we log into one of the affected machines using the local administrator account then the Self Service application opens fine, it's only when launched under the user account when it fails.  This suggests a permissions issue somewhere.

Uninstalling 2206 and reinstalling 2105 on the affected machines resolves the issue and allows them to continue working as normal.

Has anyone encountered an issue like this or have any suggestions for identifying the cause?  

11 answers to this question

We've run into this in our environment as well, and found similar results (accounts with local administrator privileges have no issue). We also found the issue was only occurring on our domain-joined machines, off-domain was fine regardless. These issues started with CWA 2206, we've been able to rolling back to 2205 to alleviate some of this.

Still working on a resolution but one workaround that seems to work in most cases is giving all users on the machine modify or full control access to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ folder and subfolders.

• Like 1
On 7/21/2022 at 7:52 PM, Chris Joyce said:

We've run into this in our environment as well, and found similar results (accounts with local administrator privileges have no issue). We also found the issue was only occurring on our domain-joined machines, off-domain was fine regardless. These issues started with CWA 2206, we've been able to rolling back to 2205 to alleviate some of this.

Still working on a resolution but one workaround that seems to work in most cases is giving all users on the machine modify or full control access to the C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ folder and subfolders.

Thank you very much Chris. The workaround helps me to fix the same problem with the new CWA 2207 version. It's terrible that the problem still exists.

On 9/23/2022 at 12:05 AM, Matthew Mattern said:

still same issue for CitrixWorkspaceApp 2209.  I agree it is very terrible that the problem still exists and don;t try to get support from them if you only use is as a Client,

Can you help in capturing crash dump of Receiver.exe,also did the issue start from 2206? 

Im Also experiencing this issue on some machines...

Faulting application name: receiver.exe, version: 22.9.0.9, time stamp: 0x63197c55
Faulting module name: ucrtbase.dll, version: 10.0.19041.789, time stamp: 0x82dc99a2
Exception code: 0xc0000409
Fault offset: 0x0009d132
Faulting process ID: 0x5104
Faulting application start time: 0x01d8d2cb1b9fc958
Faulting application path: C:\Program Files (x86)\Citrix\ICA Client\Receiver\receiver.exe
Faulting module path: C:\WINDOWS\System32\ucrtbase.dll
Report ID: 34bed5f7-aa69-4d22-bf99-aab746bad41b
Faulting package full name: 
Faulting package-relative application ID: 

i will try get a dump tomorrow, we deployed the client through sccm on our end. but on the same endpoint trying to install it manually it goes fine but receiver.exe crashes immediately after the install...

13 hours ago, Sergio Masone1709161115 said:

i used procdump to dump receiver and concentr.exe since both crash which is why the tray icon doesnt show up. where do you want me to upload them its too large for this chat.

Thanks for the dumps,crash pattern refers to issue CVADHELP-20986 for which fix should be available in 2210 release, 2210 EAR build doesn't have the fix, if you are creating support case please refer to CVADHELP-20986 so that we can provide private build for confirmation 

On 9/28/2022 at 10:05 AM, srinivass1 said:

Thanks for the dumps,crash pattern refers to issue CVADHELP-20986 for which fix should be available in 2210 release, 2210 EAR build doesn't have the fix, if you are creating support case please refer to CVADHELP-20986 so that we can provide private build for confirmation 

I've been doing more testing... could this bug have something to do with UAC, on the same endpoint that fails, if i set the UAC value to not "0" (EnableLUA) registry key, receiver works. it only breaks when EnableLUA is at 0 for us for non admin users. (reboot is required when changing this key.