Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Connecting multiple host servers to the same NFS SR for pool on Synology NAS

chizuoka k

Question

I upgraded to the 8.2 version of Hypervisor Express and now I can no longer connect two hosts to the same NFS SR. The first one will connect, but the second will have the SR grayed out with the note that it is already connected to another host.  I need all the hosts to connect on the same SR else they cannot go into the same pool together. It used to be possible but not anymore.

I am using a SYNOLOGY NAS. Is there something I am missing out somewhere? I checked with Synology support and they say its a Citrix Hypervisor thing. But it definitely was possible before.

Thanks!

13 answers to this question

Did the IP addresses get wiped out after the upgrade? You may have to redo the NFS configuration file on that host and make sure it has permission to connect on the Synology end.  You can start by seeing if you can even ping the Synology from that host and maybe run an "ifconfig" to see what networks that host has configured.

When upgrading, I almost always lost the IP configs for NFS devices. Ridiculous that these are not saved as part of the upgrade process.

Also, if you use multipathing, you may need to update the multipath.conf file, which also is not preserved across updates AFAIK.

-=Tobias

The strange thing is that even I attach an SR that has no host running on it, a warning will show up to tell me to "ensure no other hosts are connected to it to prevent data loss" . Did somehow NFS lose the ability for multiple hosts to connect to it? Is there a particular setting I need to configure for NFS SR to support more than one client. 

For multipathing i read NFS shares arent supportted. Only SCSI.

Yes, multipathing is just for iSCSI. I would expect that kind of message when connecting to a LUN perhaps, but not NFS.  When you add the NFS SR to the pool I would expect it to see the existing SR and ask if you want to reconnect all hosts to that SR. 

--Alan

Thats just the thing, when i was using xenserver 7, i was able to connect. But now with xenserver 8 i can't. I tried creating a new NFS share, also enable 4.1 support, and still its grayed out. Anything I should check to debug on Synology side or Citrix side as to why it wont allow me to connect more than 1?

8 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

Did the IP addresses get wiped out after the upgrade? You may have to redo the NFS configuration file on that host and make sure it has permission to connect on the Synology end.  You can start by seeing if you can even ping the Synology from that host and maybe run an "ifconfig" to see what networks that host has configured.

When upgrading, I almost always lost the IP configs for NFS devices. Ridiculous that these are not saved as part of the upgrade process.

Also, if you use multipathing, you may need to update the multipath.conf file, which also is not preserved across updates AFAIK.

-=Tobias

Where do I configure NFS settings on the host.. i was not aware I had to configure something ?

Yeah, you need to start with the basic management interface (preferably not bonded). However, each host will need a separate IP address  to connect to the NFS storage SRs. That and multipathing get updated after the host has joined the pool. And as Alan said, many of the other settings will be inherited automatically from the pool master.

-=Tobias