Welcome to our new Citrix community!

RDS Published Apps are not launching from Windows Server 2019 RDS Server

Question

Dear Experts,

We have built an RDS server to publish few applications. As a testing, I tried to publish few built-in applications like Calculator. Upon clicking the app, a dialog box appears saying "Starting...", More information shows, "connection established. Negotiating capabilities". After this, the dialog box disappears and at the taskbar  a small window appearing with title "Windows signin - \\remote". After few minutes, it disappears and application is not getting launched. However, in Studio, it shows Session is connected and the session state shows as "Prelaunch".  I tried to enable and disable "Application prelaunch" options. No difference. 

Note: We have configured to acquire RDS CAL license during the launch from the RDS License server. However, we are not seeing any licenses acquired during the connection. 

Looking forward for a solution to this issue. 

Please help

issue.JPG

6 answers to this question

If you think that the problem is RDS licensing, I think there would be an Event Logged.  Sometimes TermServ service will start before the license server GPO is applied.  You could try tattooing the policy on the machine so that the License service is already configured before the license gpo applies.  (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/remote/cannot-connect-rds-no-license-server#check-the-rd-licensing-configuration

If you are sure that you enabled Shellbridge correctly*, it must be something else.  Open a tech support case.  You can speed up the diagnosis by starting a network trace and a CDF trace before launching the application.

1) Download CDF Control:  https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX111961/cdfcontrol  Unzip to C:\CDFControl. Start with elevated privelege, select All Modules and start tracing.

2) Network traces:  From an elevated CMD prompt:  netsh trace start capture=yes tracefile=c:\temp\nwtrace.etl maxsize=4096 filemode=circular  

keep the elevated cmd prompt open.

3) Attempt to launch your test application. 

4) At the cmd prompt, stop the network traces:  "netsh trace stop"  Wait for the cmd prompt to return and zip up the nwtrace.etl and the .cab file that appear in C:\temp.

5) Stop the CDF traces.  Zip up the timestamped folder that is in C:\CDFControl

6) Open a case at https://support.citrix.com and then upload your traces.

*Note well that enabling the new shellbridge feature is not just a registry key.  You must install VDA 2206 or VDA 2203 CU1 AND the MS updates mentioned.

• Like 1
18 hours ago, Jonathan Jabez Jeyasingh said:

Dear Experts,

We have built an RDS server to publish few applications. As a testing, I tried to publish few built-in applications like Calculator. Upon clicking the app, a dialog box appears saying "Starting...", More information shows, "connection established. Negotiating capabilities". After this, the dialog box disappears and at the taskbar  a small window appearing with title "Windows signin - \\remote". After few minutes, it disappears and application is not getting launched. However, in Studio, it shows Session is connected and the session state shows as "Prelaunch".  I tried to enable and disable "Application prelaunch" options. No difference. 

Note: We have configured to acquire RDS CAL license during the launch from the RDS License server. However, we are not seeing any licenses acquired during the connection. 

Looking forward for a solution to this issue. 

Please help

issue.JPG

I attempted the connection today. After it fails, in the VDA Event logs, I see this error "The Citrix TDICA Transport Driver connection from 172.30.2.54:62589 to port 2598 received an invalid packet during its SSL handshake phase.'.

1 hour ago, Sandra Burke said:

Hi Jonathan,

The problem you are describing has been a known issue for Citrix for a long time.  Calculator is a UWP app. 

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/whats-new/fixed-issues.html#vda-for-multi-session-os Take a look at the Fixed Issue on this page and configure the Shellbridge feature to fix your issue.

Thank you Sandra. I will try your recommendations and see if it works. Keep you posted

22 minutes ago, Jonathan Jabez Jeyasingh said:

Thank you Sandra. I will try your recommendations and see if it works. Keep you posted

Hi Sandra, 

I tried to configure the registry entry for the Shellbridge feature and attempted to launch the application. Still the same issue persists. In Studio, Application status shows as "Connected" and the Application State shows as "Prelogon".  But it is not showing any details of the current user. Also, we do not see any license request to TS License Server during the application launch. However, we have proper connectivity between RDS and TS License Server. Any other suggestions please?

On 7/20/2022 at 1:46 PM, Sandra Burke said:

If you think that the problem is RDS licensing, I think there would be an Event Logged.  Sometimes TermServ service will start before the license server GPO is applied.  You could try tattooing the policy on the machine so that the License service is already configured before the license gpo applies.  (https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/troubleshoot/windows-server/remote/cannot-connect-rds-no-license-server#check-the-rd-licensing-configuration

If you are sure that you enabled Shellbridge correctly*, it must be something else.  Open a tech support case.  You can speed up the diagnosis by starting a network trace and a CDF trace before launching the application.

1) Download CDF Control:  https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX111961/cdfcontrol  Unzip to C:\CDFControl. Start with elevated privelege, select All Modules and start tracing.

2) Network traces:  From an elevated CMD prompt:  netsh trace start capture=yes tracefile=c:\temp\nwtrace.etl maxsize=4096 filemode=circular  

keep the elevated cmd prompt open.

3) Attempt to launch your test application. 

4) At the cmd prompt, stop the network traces:  "netsh trace stop"  Wait for the cmd prompt to return and zip up the nwtrace.etl and the .cab file that appear in C:\temp.

5) Stop the CDF traces.  Zip up the timestamped folder that is in C:\CDFControl

6) Open a case at https://support.citrix.com and then upload your traces.

*Note well that enabling the new shellbridge feature is not just a registry key.  You must install VDA 2206 or VDA 2203 CU1 AND the MS updates mentioned.

Hi Sandra, we have ruled out the TS License server from the picture. When doing an direct RDP connection to the RDS server with 3 user accounts, we could do an RDP and user CAL licenses are getting acquired. Issue is only with the brokered connection, we do not see the license is getting acquired when launching the application. 

Checking the session status in Studio shows as Session Connected but the "Application State" is showing as "Prelogon". 

image.thumb.png.d3b9480d52a151a9c0aa5e455be1ebd7.png

As suggested, I would work on collected the CDF and trace logs and open a ticket with Citrix Support. Thank you for your support.