Welcome to our new Citrix community!

XenServer 8.2 CU1 ISO not finding XenServer 7.1.2 install to upgrade

Question

13 answers to this question

9 hours ago, Tobias Kreidl said:

Awesome. Nice sleuthing and subsequent resolution, Ken! Never ran into that issue myself (just probably lucky).

I can't take the credit, my fellow cohort pulled it out of his hat when we were grasping at straws.  I do find it funny though as I always thought of that file as cosmetic, not taking in to count the fact that it would reject a host from joining if any discrepancy is found in that file.  I'm glad this is on the internet now though so nobody else has this problem, hah.

• Like 1

That is weird, especially with CISCO UCS. I take it you are using local storage, or are you using boot from SAN? 

And I guess you see your storage, it just doesn't see the SR so it can upgrade. For a test you could download 

XCP-ng and see if it detects it properly. That is very suspicious, something has to be different. 

--Alan--

I work with Ken, its very odd. I will boot the 8.2 install media and on these hosts it will prompt me for which storage i want to install too. it will list the boot from san lun but it will not register that the OS is on the lun. if i select that storage it will then ask me if it can store VM data on it and thin provisioning and proceed as if i was installing a new deployment. on all the pre-prod pools and test hosts which we have updated already, none had an issue before. originally when these hosts were built, they were built with an unattended script. i rebuilt them around this time last year. (correcting a multipath misconfiguration). Is it possible the OS partition on the lun volume could be encrypted? i wouldn't think the script would do that since we have had success rebuilding other hosts which were successful to 8x. ken and i disconnected the luns and left only local storage to confirm the OS volume was definitely stored on the boot from san lun and not local. 

grasping at straws.

It does sound like your boot disk is trying to install local versus installing on the LUN.

I would have expected it to detect both as disks and you would have to select which 

to install too, either the local SDA or whatever SDx that the LUN shows up as. 

I take it you have FC/HBA and iscsi setup. Did you configure the multipath boot option ?

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/xenserver/7-1/install/san-boot.html

--Alan--

So we figured this one out without Citrix's help.  A few years back, when these pools were rebuilt, the master had the build_number='havana/blahblah' removed for some reason.  We couldn't get any hosts to join the pool when they were rebuilt.  We were finding that removing the build_number line in etc/xensource-inventory would allow them to join, so we did that to all hosts in the pool.  It became such a natural thing to do that we didn't even think about it.  Turns out this build_number line is what the installer searches when trying to find previous installations.  Go figure.  We added the build_number line back and it found the previous installation like normal.