Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Citrix Workspace app 2206 for Windows

Eli Baron

Question

Hi

Recently tried upgrading from 2205: my high resolution (2560 x1600) laptop displays the font on virtual apps as tiny and unreadable

I read this article

DPI support changes with Citrix Workspace App for Windows 2206

states "Starting with Citrix Workspace App (CWA) for Windows 2206, DPI matching is enabled by default. This means CWA will attempt to match display resolution and DPI scale settings of the local Windows client to the Citrix session automatically. DPI matching is recommended in all cases, especially when high-resolution monitors (above 1920x1080) are in use. "

despite trying to make the changes 

"Compatibility with 1912 LTSR VDAs

DPI matching is disabled by default on 1912 LTSR Multi-session OS VDAs for all Virtual Apps (aka seamless or published apps) sessions. As a result, the VDA ignores the DPI scale settings of the client for all Virtual Apps sessions. This can be an issue for Windows clients with high-resolution monitors (above 1920x1080) where DPI scaling is generally used, with the main symptoms displaying very small graphics and text.

For best compatibility with CWA for Windows 2206, DPI matching must be enabled on 1912 LTSR Multi-session OS VDAs via the Windows registry using the key below.

Name: EnableDpiSupport Type: DWORD Value: 1 Location: “HKLM\SOFTWARE\Citrix\Graphics”

No changes are required for published desktops or Virtual Desktops sessions (single-session OS VDA). 

Compatibility with 7.15 LTSR VDAs

DPI matching is not supported with XenApp/XenDesktop 7.15 LTSR. Citrix recommends customers use CWA for Windows LTSR with these VDAs. As an alternative, DPI matching can be disabled for CWA for Windows 2206 using a group policy."

Despite this, and making changes in the registry, the text remains small and unreadable. I have gone back to using CWA 2205: I really think having to go into the registry is inappropriate and potentially dangerous:  I hope new versions  allow access to the high  dpi settings again. Any thoughts?

25 answers to this question

3 hours ago, Roberto Moreno said:

@Roger, @Jonathan, @Erwin - Please provide more details so that we can provide guidance:

Is the issue with a Virtual desktop or virtual apps (seamless) sessions?

Do you know what VDA version is being used server-side? 

This is with a virtual app ( Epic ) in a health care setting. Not sure what is being used from the server side but seems it would be better for everyone to allow the high dpi settings back in the preferences in an upcoming release.

• Like 1

It is likely you are connecting to a Citrix environment running old versions that are either not configured for or not capable of DPI matching. In that case, it is recommended that you use Citrix Workspace app for Windows LTSR 2203.1 for backwards compatibility.

If you must use CWA 2206, you can still configure legacy options using Windows Group Policy (GPO)

For reference and testing, the GPO would use the following key when disabling DPI awareness (pre-2206 default). You can manually configure this key as a workaround. 

Computer\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Policies\Citrix\ICA Client\DPI

key: DpiAware
type: dword
value: 2

Caution! Using Registry Editor incorrectly can cause serious problems that might require you to reinstall your operating system. Citrix cannot guarantee that problems resulting from the incorrect use of Registry Editor can be solved. Use Registry Editor at your own risk. Be sure to back up the registry before you edit it.

Edited by Roberto Moreno
Added registry configuration
  • Like 1

The update CWA 2206 is (automatically) installed on my laptop as well and the scaling is completely messed up now. The mouse pointer is on a completely different place on the screen than were it supposed to be...

My "local" environment: Windows 11, with three screens (one laptop screen, two Dell U2723QE (4k) screens) with the laptop on 100% scaling and 1920x1080 resolution and both the external monitors on 150% and resolution of 3840x2160. But even with all monitors on the same scaling, the Citrix scaling fails.

My Citrix environment: Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops 7 2206, starting Virtual apps.

Any suggestion on how to get things working with the latest version? I also went back to CWA 2205

• Like 1

Leave it to Citrix to shove a major change to functionality down customers' throats without care about the impact. As some other posters stated, my environment is used by a mixture of internal users and external contractors using their own devices which are completely outside of my control. I started getting tickets about app fonts being too small and initially dismissed them because nothing had changed on the back end. Then I updated my Workspace app to 2206 and was hit with bunch of issues. I use high res displays and fonts especially when opening RDP session inside my VDI session became impossible to read. Using Teams while content is being shared causes major issues with app widows on the screen where Teams window is being mangled and impossible to resize. Had to uninstall 2206 and go to an older version. Now I have to figure a way to notify all users not to update their Citrix Workspace app.

Can't wait to get our cloud migration completed so I can concentrate on moving from Citrix to WVD.

• Like 1

This change is affecting my environment as well. I don't like this decision because of the inflexibility.

We are a mix of managed and unmanaged endpoints. Thin clients are deployed internally, but we have a large work from home workforce using their own computers. Computers that we don't control. Some users are using 10 year old HD displays. Others have top of the line 4k displays.

I am in the banking sector so many of our apps are ancient. I can't simply throw a reg value in our production environment without testing what it may do first. Our help desk is having to hand hold users through finding the old versions of CWA on the Citrix website, uninstalling 2206, and installing an old version. All of this is time consuming and frustrating for both users and technicians.

Like many, our environment is CVAD 1912 LTSR compliant. CVAD 1912 LTSR is NOT legacy. It is supported by Citrix. A product like XA6.5 is legacy.

I thought for sure CWA 2207 released today for Windows would reverse this decision, but I see it's going to make it worse by auto-installing future updates without notifying the user in advance.

• Like 1

Having the same problem. Since I upgraded to citrix.workspace 2206 the DPI scaling isn't changeable, so my laptop displays the citrix sessions display so small that I can't read it any more!
Since today I haven't found a solution, becaucse the instructions on citrix.com says in case of this problem change the settings  through Group policy entries.

Problem: I am running windows 11 home edition, for this reason no Group policy app is available.
Anyone a solution for this problem? 

@Eli Baron - With Citrix Workspace App (CWA) for Windows 2206 we should match display resolution and scale exactly as you have it for your local laptop displays, provided the virtual desktop or server you are connecting support this. There is no CWA configuration required for this.

The registry settings you refer to are server-side settings (intended for Citrix administrators) that are only required with legacy 1912 LTSR environments. Can you confirm VDA version in use server-side and if this issue is with a virtual desktop or virtual (seamless) application sessions?

1 hour ago, Roberto Moreno said:

@Roger, @Jonathan, @Erwin - Forneça mais detalhes para que possamos fornecer orientação:

O problema é com uma área de trabalho virtual ou sessões de aplicativos virtuais (sem interrupções)?

Você sabe qual versão do VDA está sendo usada no lado do servidor? 

1326250764_OSGTtelalogin.thumb.png.67bd1933215dd61bbf3435cbc1c1847e.png

on computers that have more than one Screen we have this Image problem. in version 2205 we solved this with HIGH DPI.
On other computers where the resolution is 1920 x 1080 as the application font is too small.
Regarding the VDA version, I do not have this information, as it is the responsibility of the application provider.

I ran a check on the Windows registry and the DPI for Citrix is active.
image.thumb.png.03724072e570f3114a23c3be82139f2b.png

On some computers with the same resolution problem we don't have this record to check

I am also running Windows 11. I am connecting to a Virtual Desktop (VDI). The server-side VDA version is 7.15.9000 Build 23.

All three of my monitors are 4k with a display resolution on each of 3840x2160. Scaling is 150% on all three. 

It could be an issue with Windows 11 with high resolution screens. I've only seen a couple mentions of Windows 11 so far, but it appears to be a common factor. 

Not an answer to the issue at hand, but this version of Citrix Workspace has been a major thorn in our side.  Since our company utilizes Citrix to host applications to our customers, and a large number of our customers are either older, or have poor eyesight, scaling is enabled within their workstations for readability.

On top of this, many of these workstations have scaling enabled, due to the initial Windows setup, which will scale depending on the DPI.  Most of our customers are not tech-savvy, so this causes delays and frustrations.

While the previous method of adjusting the High DPI setting worked perfectly for what we needed, we now need to explain to our customers to uninstall Citrix Workspace, and install an older version.  The main issue with this approach is that many of our customers are not admins for their workstations, so they need to have someone do this process for them.  This causes even longer delays.

This change for High DPI is 100% the wrong move.  Having the option set by default is fine, and it seems like it was set that way for the longest time, but we had the option to override it.  Now, we suddenly don't have this option, and we're in a "well, sucks to be you" scenario.

Pretty frustrating, and I really hope 2207 reverses this decision.

@Shawn - Thanks for the feedback. Just to clarify, the change was to make the Workspace app DPI aware by default so that it can match client settings to the Citrix session. This option was introduced years ago with version 1811, but was disabled by default until CWA 2205. Assuming your Citrix environment is capable, as described in CTX230017, there should be no issues with any scaling configuration.

Can you please share some details on the Citrix environment (if you have this info) and the issues you are seeing? What exactly are the symptoms?

@Shawn  -  Completely agree with your statement.  By forcing changes in the version without the preference setting available is a bad decision by Citrix.  All this does is force us to push our customers to use the LTSR version and disable auto update so it doesn't break Citrix in the future for them.  This is now impacting our support staff and Customers fairly significantly.  We have always recommended the LTSR but some customers get the latest version installed either by auto update or due to them just googling Citrix workspace.  As a service provider we don't have full control of workstations connecting into our environment.  Changes like this reflect poorly on our business as our customers cannot differentiate.

I am also not sure what is being used from the server side by my company, but seems it would be better for everyone to allow

the "old" 3 preferences  settings in an upcoming release.

In my case till version 2205 the option "Let the operation system scale the resolution" was best,so to "reintroduce" all 3 options would be optimal for next version.

image.thumb.png.7b10c200c690c605ae66773661c21157.png

This is one of the worst changes in a long time. This setting is NOT a one-size fits all setting, and removing the choice to enable or disable it is a mistake. We provide virtual desktops for about a dozen different companies and support those desktops. DPI matching works for most users, but it doesn't work for everyone, and having a working solution within a few clicks has been a godsend. When you've got hundreds of different customers on countless different device configurations, you'll quickly find that you can't just set this setting once and have everybody happy. It's pretty clear the Workspace dev team has never had to support their own product.

I realize there are GPOs provided to be able to adjust this still. What a huge pain - loading up admx/adml files onto a workstation and adjusting local group policies when it used to be just a radio button.

I don't see any good reason that the option to change this within workspace should have ever been removed. Change the defaults all you want, but give us the choice -  We're the ones that have to support this product with our users.

@PatrickR & MickS - Thanks for the feedback. We understand the challenges as a result of removing the user interface (UI). It appears you are on the admin side of the Citrix environment. Can you confirm your environment meets criteria for DPI matching? If so, can you share any details on the user issues? This information can really helps us identify any issues specific to DPI matching. 

Thanks. 

@MattS - Based on your description, I assume you are having issues with the users on 4K displays connecting to 1912 VDAs using virtual (seamless) apps. You can enable DPI matching for these VDAs using the registry as described in CTX460068 .

This registry simply allows the VDA to receive the DPI scale information from the client and set it accordingly for the session. This setting has no effect when no DPI scale data is received from the client, so it is only relevant for clients configured for DPI matching (Ex. CWA 2206 or CWA 2205 and older set to "No, use the native resolution").

On 7/26/2022 at 2:38 PM, Roberto Moreno said:

@ VessN - Can you confirm your environment meets system requirements for DPI matching as described in CTX230017 ?

My environment is running 1912 LTSR CU4 with VDAs running on Server 2016 for the on-demand apps and Windows 10 for desktops. So yes it does meet system requirements, yet the issue affected both published apps and desktops. I experienced it first hand on my Windows 10 persistent desktop. It wasn't only the font size that was affected, Microsoft Teams was all messed up. If someone shared their screen on Teams, the window where Teams session is showing became all messed up, any other window on that particular screen would be mangled, could not be resized and parts of it were cut. It basically made one of my monitors useless if I was attending a Teams meeting with anyone sharing.

I have been working with Citrix for over 20 years now and my experience with the product has become more and more frustrating each and every year. Looking to go to WVD and leave all that mess behind me.  

On 7/26/2022 at 8:23 AM, Roberto Moreno said:

@PatrickR & MickS - Thanks for the feedback. We understand the challenges as a result of removing the user interface (UI). It appears you are on the admin side of the Citrix environment. Can you confirm your environment meets criteria for DPI matching? If so, can you share any details on the user issues? This information can really helps us identify any issues specific to DPI matching. 

Thanks. 

Yes, we meet requirements. This isn't an issue with DPI Matching "not working" in our environment (Although I did deal with that for one user on 2006 - I had to enable the reg key. Weird.) - This is an issue of "making our choice for us" when it comes to this setting. Almost all my users are fine with DPI Matching. I myself use DPI Matching - It's our recommended setting. But there are some cases where client scaling has been preferred. For example: Several of the companies we provide desktops to are in Construction and use their  virtual desktops on jobsites with varying degrees of reliable internet. Using client-scaling can help performance at the cost of clarity in low-bandwidth situations.

I've got some customers on Win10 Home - In order to even apply a local group policy I've got to do some weird roundabout Windows hack to get gpedit.msc in a Home edition before I can begin to address the problem.

I just don't understand the decision to take away our tools and flexibility as admins.