Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Frequent random disconnects - remote desktop window disappears

Przemek Kolowski

Question

I own a MacBook Pro (14-inch, 2021) with M1 Pro chip. I am using Citrix Workspace for MacOS version 2206. I keep getting multiple disconnects with my remote desktop per day. The disconnects are NOT network interruptions with a 5-minute timeout, but the desktop window simply disappears. In order to reconnect, I have to open a new window. Sometimes I am able to continue work, sometimes not. In this case, the screen remains frozen after I reconnect, the windows don't move. Then when I disconnect, I get the following crash report.

Additional information: this problem persists in versions 2206. 2205, 2204, 2203, 2109 and also in the technical preview for M1. When I go to "About this Mac", I can see the serial number.

-------------------------------------
Translated Report (Full Report Below)
-------------------------------------

Process:               Citrix Viewer [82194]
Path:                  /Library/Application Support/Citrix Receiver/Citrix Viewer.app/Contents/MacOS/Citrix Viewer
Identifier:            com.citrix.receiver.icaviewer.mac
Version:               22.06.0 (700022.06.0.34)
Code Type:             X86-64 (Translated)
Parent Process:        launchd [1]
User ID:               501

Date/Time:             2022-06-23 12:38:42.4330 +0200
OS Version:            macOS 12.4 (21F79)
Report Version:        12
Anonymous UUID:        86F9C3E6-760B-2DB0-68F3-579C4D79DB19

Sleep/Wake UUID:       E044F8D5-420D-475E-ACE3-79BF6449079F

Time Awake Since Boot: 320000 seconds
Time Since Wake:       267 seconds

System Integrity Protection: enabled

Crashed Thread:        0  1  Dispatch queue: com.apple.main-thread

Exception Type:        EXC_BAD_INSTRUCTION (SIGILL)
Exception Codes:       0x0000000000000001, 0x0000000000000000
Exception Note:        EXC_CORPSE_NOTIFY

Termination Reason:    Namespace SIGNAL, Code 4 Illegal instruction: 4
Terminating Process:   exc handler [82194]

Application Specific Information:
BUG IN CLIENT OF LIBDISPATCH: Release of a locked queue
Abort Cause 27021735203244062

Kernel Triage:
VM - pmap_enter failed with resource shortage

11 answers to this question

BREAKING NEWS everyone on the specific issue of MAC (and possible other non-windows) CWA clients getting randomly disconnected unexpectedly with the "connection interrupted" pop-up message: After months of troubleshooting with both the Netscaler engineering team and VDA engineering team I just finished testing a new special build with a private fix in it that seems to solve the problem completely. After all this troubleshooting I have have identified that:

-The problem only happens when the connection is happening through a Netscaler Gateway. So you won't see the problem when connected through a third party VPN or internal network.

-The CWA client must be a MAC (or potentially other non-windows). The issue will not happen with a Windows CWA

-This particular problem was introduced as early as of VDA agent 2112 and is present in all later editions.

-The problem only happens when inside the Citrix session from the MAC a client-redirected device or drive is being accessed or used in any way. The easiest way to force and bring out the problem is therefore to start a continuous copy of a very large file inside the Citrix session on the from the MAC client machine towards the VDA or remote network inside the VDA. Then start clicking with your mouse on the empty desktop until the problem happens. Using this way I can consistently bring out the problem within 5-30 seconds.

Suspected Root cause: It's still under investigation but if this is correct it seems to be a problem introduced by a change in the winstation driver wdica.sys

Solution: obtain a new/old version of the driver through a private fix (you can refer to my Citrix CASE 81283528) and replace the current faulty version with it. Alternatively wait for a future public fix version to appear.

I hope this makes your day or at least helps you ! Feel free to use the upvote button

• Like 2

I have a similar if not same issue using Citrix Viewer v.22.01.0.25 (2204) launch mode ICA and MacOS 12.4, although it has been present since at least MacOS 11.x (BIg Sur).  My device is an iMac (Retina 5K, 27-inch, 2020.) Intel Core i5 CPU, 32GB RAM.

Multiple monitors makes it even worse and frequent. 

I have noticed a pattern that suggests that there is a conflict of some sort between the MacOS "Dock" and Citrix because of the following.

Example: I'll have 3 Citrix instances running for my application. One or more will randomly disappear, but not actually quit. A right click on the Citrix Viewer icon in the MacOS dock shows progress, progress, progress indicating that the 3 instances are still live, but one or more of them is no longer visible. Here is where it gets interesting.

I use multiple monitors (3) for my work and if I drag my cursor to the bottom of the screen on a monitor that does NOT have the dock on it, and thus move the dock per MacOS, the Citrix instance windows reappear! It is my workaround so that I don't have to quit Citrix and relaunch multiple times daily. It's not very elegant, but it works for me.  I don't have any kernel panic or app crash.

So, Citrix engineers, is there something going on here with Mac OS?

good luck,

Scott

• Like 1
On 8/11/2022 at 1:18 PM, Andy Vanderbeken said:

I hope this makes your day or at least helps you ! Feel free to use the upvote button

You have my upvote, but I'm not sure how I should request a fixed version of the Workspace installer.

-The problem only happens when the connection is happening through a Netscaler Gateway. So you won't see the problem when connected through a third party VPN or internal network.

I don't know what a Netscaler Gateway is, but in my case, I am connecting to two different Citrix environments. One works without any VPN, the other requires a third-party VPN application in order to access it. It's the remote desktop window of the Citrix environment that connects over the custom VPN that constantly gets disconnected.

27 minutes ago, Przemek Kolowski said:

You have my upvote, but I'm not sure how I should request a fixed version of the Workspace installer.

I don't know what a Netscaler Gateway is, but in my case, I am connecting to two different Citrix environments. One works without any VPN, the other requires a third-party VPN application in order to access it. It's the remote desktop window of the Citrix environment that connects over the custom VPN that constantly gets disconnected.

Przemek,

you can just open a standard Citrix support case as you usually do and simply request in there the private fix from my Citrix case nr 81283528. The support engineers should be able to provide it to you (which we customers are not)

Citrix Netscaler gateway is the component that acts as an internet portal, a webpage where you log in to in a safe manner, and then get presented with the published apps and desktops of that environment. Next, when you click one of those the Netscaler device will tunnel your request over an internal vpn solution towards the internal Storefront server. So it acts as a hardened proxy to make your internal Storefront environment safely accessible to the outside world.

If you use a third party vpn to connect to the company and then log on to the internal storefront website it usually means you are not going through a Netscaler. However there is the possibility that that third party vpn in combination with this version of VDA suffers the same symptoms from this bug. If this is the case then the Citrix administrators of that remote site should try out this private fix in their environment, not you as you are the client connecting to it.

I hope this helps

21 hours ago, Andy Vanderbeken said:

If you use a third party vpn to connect to the company and then log on to the internal storefront website it usually means you are not going through a Netscaler.

This is how I login:

1. I start the VPN connection using the third party app

2. I open the Citrix app (no website), where I have a configured connection

3. I click on the remote desktop icon to start the remote windows session

There is no browser involved in the process. And the Citrix "store" within the Citrix app is only accessible / visible when the VPN is running, because the address is within the company's intranet.

And the Remote Desktop window of Citrix keep randomly disappearing without any error message, like 10-20 times a day. Whether it's idle, or whether you're doing something (typing, clicking), it doesn't matter. It just goes away when it wants.

Przemek,

when you use the Citrix workspace app it basically just does the browsing part for you by contacting storefront in the background so the same mechanics and problems still apply.

If your Citrix window dissappears even when you do not touch the session then you are not suffering from the same issue as the one I listed so you'll have troubleshoot this problem from scratch. I'll just get you started here:

When looking at your problem as a whole there are 2 possibilities:

1. An (exceptional) client side issue on the MAC => Rule this out first by trying the same connection from someone else's Macbook. Once you have verified that the problem happens just as well from a completely different Macbook you are sure it's a problem with either your network or the remote infrastructure

2. Something on the server side (remote Citrix infrastructure and the network connections from your client to those VDA servers) => Ask the Citrix admins for that side to start  troubleshooting the whole chain and monitor the connection from you all the way to them. Only they know what infrastructure they have set up and all components involved so only they can solve this problem for you.

good luck !

BREAKING NEWS everyone on the specific issue of MAC (and possible other non-windows) CWA clients getting randomly disconnected unexpectedly with the "connection interrupted" pop-up message: After months of troubleshooting with both the Netscaler engineering team and VDA engineering team I just finished testing a new special build with a private fix in it that seems to solve the problem completely. After all this troubleshooting I have have identified that:

-The CWA client must be a MAC (or potentially other non-windows). The issue will not happen with a Windows CWA

-This particular problem was introduced as early as of VDA agent 2112 and is present in all later editions.

-The problem only happens when inside the Citrix session from the MAC a client-redirected device or drive is being accessed or used in any way. The easiest way to force and bring out the problem is therefore to start a continuous copy of a very large file inside the Citrix session on the from the MAC client machine towards the VDA or remote network inside the VDA. Then start clicking with your mouse on the empty desktop until the problem happens. Using this way I can consistently bring out the problem within 5-30 seconds.

Suspected Root cause: It's still under investigation but if this is correct it seems to be a problem introduced by a change in the winstation driver wdica.sys

Solution: obtain a new/old version of the driver through a private fix (you can refer to my Citrix CASE 81283528) and replace the current faulty version with it. Alternatively wait for a future public fix version to appear.

I have this problem! Frequently and random getting disconnected unexpectedly with the "connection interrupted" pop-up message.

I work on a Macbook Pro 14 inch with the M1 Pro soc. Using the Citrix Workspace App for macOS - Native support for Apple Silicon.

Next to that I installed the HDX RealTime Media Engine 2.9.500

What can I do about this? I already upgraded my Workspace App to the latest version

Can you please share the private release that fixed the problem for you?

Hi Pascal,

I myself as a fellow Citrix customer am not allowed to directly share a private fix with another customer but you can just open a standard Citrix support case as you usually do and simply request in there that you want to try the private fix from my Citrix case nr 81283528 in your environment. The support engineers should be able to provide it to you and assist you in implementing it if needed.

Unfortunately this is not possible for me.

You have received this error because your account does not have sufficient privileges to open a support ticket, view premium content or download software updates.

To verify account privileges to access these resources, please contact Citrix Customer Service.