Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Running Google Chrome on CVAD 1912 / Server 2019

Ken Z

Question

Hi everyone

those people running either Google Chrome or Microsoft Edge Chromium on virtualised CVAD / Server 2019 servers, what kind of performance do you get when starting it? i.e. from clicking on the Chrome/Edge icon (Desktop or Start Menu) to it appearing on the screen ready to use?

I'm getting approx. 10 seconds for Chrome and 5 seconds for Edge?

is this about average?

Are any of you getting much better timings that that?

I'm running the VMs on ESX 7 running on HP ProLiant Servers with a MSA tiered storage SAN. All other apps on the  VMs start fine, e.g. Word/Excel, Paint, etc

Regards

Ken Z 

4 answers to this question

Just tested it for you by starting a new fresh published full desktop logon on a separate test user on to our productional environment, waiting until the session is ready for usage and then launching Chrome for the first time in that session and then close and reopen it subsequently while starting and stopping a chronometer each time while pressing the icon:

first time launch (uncached): just under 2 sec

subsequent launches (cached): roughly 0.5 sec each time

I hope this answers your question

Andy

thanks for the test, much appreciated.

Are these physical or Virtual machines?

What's the underlying hardware? do you have SSDs for storage?

Do you do anything fancy with optimizing Chrome? 

Are you loading any Chrome Extensions? (E.g. Citrix BCR?)

Regards

Ken Z

Are these physical or Virtual machines? virtual

What's the underlying hardware? do you have SSDs for storage? ESXi 7. Yes, put an array of fast SSD's for local storage in the host (ESX) servers

Do you do anything fancy with optimizing Chrome? No, nothing. All magic is in the proper design of your Citrix infrastructure

Are you loading any Chrome Extensions? (E.g. Citrix BCR?) yes, all kinds that have nothing to do with Citrix. Solely for the purpose of other applications

Hi Guys

if anyone is interested, the problem turned out to be that someone disabled the DNS Client service on the XenApp servers (why is beyond me!). This caused the long delays when starting both Edge and Chrome

Regards

Ken Z