Welcome to our new Citrix community!

vserver protocol for AD LDAPS loadbalancing vserver without SSL offloading - ssl_bridge or TCP

Dear Community 

We are implementing Load balancing for our AD LDAPS  traffic  in SSL passthrough mode  ( no SSL offloading on the LB  ) 

ADC version NS12.1 57.18.nc

Can we use SSL_BRIDGE protocol  with port 636  ?  

or  should we use TCP with 636  ? 

On 5/14/2022 at 6:52 PM, Rhonda Rowland1709152125 said:

LDAPS vservers and services for authentication should be done as ssl_tcp vservers and services on port 636.  Not SSL_BRIDGE.  You will need cert bindings on the vserver.

Dear Rowland

We dont plan to do ssl offloading on ADC .

if SSL_BRIDGE is not allowed  , then can we use TCP  port 636 for the Vserver  ? 

Like Carl said, for the additional consideration. 

I meant don't use SSL_BRIDGE assuming you wanted SSL Termination; not that it couldn't be used at all....   Sorry for the confusion and the assumption on my point.

But LDAP is essentially TCP-based, so SSL_TCP would be the protocol type usually used when doing ssl termination on the ADC.

On 5/16/2022 at 12:03 PM, Carl Stalhood1709151912 said:

If your client LDAP application does not need to verify the SSL cert, then yes. One problem with TCP or SSL_BRIDGE is that each back-end LDAP server has a different certificate.

Dear Carl

If we decide to deploy the same certificate on both backend servers , will SSL_BRDIGE or TCP vserver with port 636 work  ? 

21 hours ago, Rhonda Rowland1709152125 said:

Like Carl said, for the additional consideration. 

I meant don't use SSL_BRIDGE assuming you wanted SSL Termination; not that it couldn't be used at all....   Sorry for the confusion and the assumption on my point.

But LDAP is essentially TCP-based, so SSL_TCP would be the protocol type usually used when doing ssl termination on the ADC.

Thanks Rhonda for the clarification