Welcome to our new Citrix community!

CVAD 2203 LTSR Delivery Controller installation to Windows server 2019 core

Pavel Korochenkov

Question

Any type of Delivery controller role installation on Windows Server 2019  Core fails somehow, or never ends. I've tried mounting .iso and starting installation normally via "AutoSelect.exe", but once i choose Delivery Controller window just dissappears, msiexec does something for a few minutes and then terminates. No new services/folders whatsoever.

I've tried launching installation via powershell and cmd with varoius switches like /quite /COMPONENTS controller /nosql, in that case the process XenDesktopServerSetup.exe just hangs there and changes PID every second for eternity, and again does not seem to install anything.

The output of the "%temp%\Citrix\XenDesktop Intstaller\Autorun Log" - always says that there is a bunch of components not installed,  completes process with code 0x00000000 and starting asynchronous process of XenDesktopServerSetup.exe

I've tried to install all the .msi files manually one by one, and they did install, i have all the services, but they won't start and studio does not recognize this server as DDC. 

I installed all of the rest CVAD components without any problems and they seem to work, even though Citrix says that only Delivery controller and Director roles are supported for server core. 

Has anyone ever installed the DDC role on Server Core successfully ? 

4 answers to this question

I have installed the Delivery Controller  and Director roles with no issue on both WS2019 Core and WS2022 Core.

As mentioned, on WS2019 you need .NET 4.8 and a reboot after the .NET 4.8 install before continuing with the install. I usually install the prereqs before the delivery controller and director roles and then do a manual reboot.

If it still doesn't work, we'll have to have a look at the installer log file. 

2 hours ago, Kasper Johansen1709159522 said:

I have installed the Delivery Controller  and Director roles with no issue on both WS2019 Core and WS2022 Core.

As mentioned, on WS2019 you need .NET 4.8 and a reboot after the .NET 4.8 install before continuing with the install. I usually install the prereqs before the delivery controller and director roles and then do a manual reboot.

If it still doesn't work, we'll have to have a look at the installer log file. 

Well i have installed it too, but for some reason installation process loops. If i launch it with powershell, wrapping it to ().exitcode, the blank cmd window of the installer is just being shown forever. If i close it, it actually returns code "3" which means that installation is partially okay, but reboot is needed.  And ofc there is no services/folders after reboot.

I attached log file and .net version query result.  

dotnetver.PNG

AutoRun Log.txt