Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Convert from PV to HVM????

Tom Rule

Question

Boy, THIS has been a rabbit hole!

I have a 2 server Pool - we've been running hypervisor now for at least a decade, and some of our VMs date back that far [well, they HAVE been updated a few times....] Why that is important is below.....

We are running Hypervisor 8.2. I'm trying to run updates on the pool, and am getting the error that some VMs are running in PV mode, which has been deprecated.

Well, ok then.

We have 18 VMs running - mix of Windows, Win servers, Linux of various ilks. All but 3 are in HVM mode - and the recalcitrant three are all Linux [Debian 10/Buster, Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS, and Debian 10.12]

Can anyone point me to some info/make some suggestions dealing with converting a vm from PV to HVM?

I've seen several going the other way - some dating back to 2010 - but absolutely nothing helpful. The only Citrix article I've found has the helpful suggestion to make sure virtualization in BIOS is turned on - given that 15 of our VMs are already in HVM mode, I'm thinking it is a safe assumption that is not my problem here.

I should note that starting from scratch and rebuilding is not an option [for a variety of reasons, boiling down to there's only one of me and my plate is already full... you know, standard stuff!]

3 answers to this question

On 4/13/2022 at 9:19 AM, Tom Rule said:

Boy, THIS has been a rabbit hole!

I have a 2 server Pool - we've been running hypervisor now for at least a decade, and some of our VMs date back that far [well, they HAVE been updated a few times....] Why that is important is below.....

We are running Hypervisor 8.2. I'm trying to run updates on the pool, and am getting the error that some VMs are running in PV mode, which has been deprecated.

Well, ok then.

We have 18 VMs running - mix of Windows, Win servers, Linux of various ilks. All but 3 are in HVM mode - and the recalcitrant three are all Linux [Debian 10/Buster, Ubuntu 12.04.5 LTS, and Debian 10.12]

Can anyone point me to some info/make some suggestions dealing with converting a vm from PV to HVM?

I've seen several going the other way - some dating back to 2010 - but absolutely nothing helpful. The only Citrix article I've found has the helpful suggestion to make sure virtualization in BIOS is turned on - given that 15 of our VMs are already in HVM mode, I'm thinking it is a safe assumption that is not my problem here.

I should note that starting from scratch and rebuilding is not an option [for a variety of reasons, boiling down to there's only one of me and my plate is already full... you know, standard stuff!]

Any update on this? I am trying to move to 8.2 and with the PV VM' shutdown I still can't continue with the upgrade.