Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Machine in machine catalog become off and unregistered

Zulhadi Zainal

Question

Hi all... I need some input here as I noticed something weird on the citrix studio after I done the activity of provision new additional machine to existing machine catalog.

Here the some summary of activity have been done

1) Current machine catalog have 260 machine and for activity, I already done 10 more machine via add machine in citrix studio through MCS. And the pointing to new machine to existing delivery group. (as i follow the exact step in citrix document on how to add new machine)

2) Now the machine already up 270 machine.

image.thumb.png.910fe706024e16bb83ba8cf19bfe3274.png

What weird think happened that I noticed, when i power up the new additional machine via studio, the other 10 existing machine in the delivery group suddenly become power off state and unregistered. When check in vCenter that VM VDA also in power off state (please refer below screenshot). But in the delivery group it stated all unregistered although I already refresh it.

image.thumb.png.9cfd0ef23fa963a0a43fab90d77e407e.png

Then I try to start this 10 machine that power off and unregistered, and then all this 10 machine become ok and registered but then it another 10 machine in this delivery group become power off stated and unregistered. It like something it replace the 10 machine previously.

I'm very weird about this as I try to delete 10 new machine that I previously add before in the delivery group and then try refresh again to see status of machine in the delivery group, all existing machine in DG become registered without have any issue as above.

I'm no idea what cause the issue happened because when I add new machine as I already follow the step when doing the activity of adding new machine. For the network and infra site, the resource also don't have an issue as I have sufficient resources and also the big DHCP IP pool.

Appreciate anyone can be shared though on this and how can I further check to overcome this issue. Thanks

image.png

6 answers to this question

1 hour ago, Salim Hurjuk said:

Did you check Event Logs? If Yes, What does it says?

Hi Sir @Salim Hurjuk

May I know, at event logs at each component that I need to check sir? Can you advise me on this?

I just check to studio, it look like 10 machine that previous off & unregistered when I check during 10am today already up and registered but another 10 other machine become off & unregistered. It look like it replaced it..

Here the machine that the status is off and unregistered when i check on 10 am...

image.thumb.png.210e3272d893599bf56986fc17f78257.png

This one that i check just now on 6.00pm

image.thumb.png.47f447890dd23a06d180da678ba7456c.png

I don't do anything like powerup or start machine on studio but it happened like this. I'm quite confused why it happened like this as I not very experience with Citrix.

image.png

As sjeord has said, it will be power management on the Delivery Group causing this.   If the DG is set to have only a certain number of machines at any one time, it will power up random machines from those assigned to it, to keep the specified number running.  If you manually power up a bunch of machines from the hypervisor, it will power some others down to keep only the right number running.

As per sjoerd's post, check the power management (called Autoscale in the most recent versions) and set it to 100%, and see if they all stay running then.

On 3/23/2022 at 11:07 PM, Michael Burnstead1709159565 said:

As sjeord has said, it will be power management on the Delivery Group causing this.   If the DG is set to have only a certain number of machines at any one time, it will power up random machines from those assigned to it, to keep the specified number running.  If you manually power up a bunch of machines from the hypervisor, it will power some others down to keep only the right number running.

As per sjoerd's post, check the power management (called Autoscale in the most recent versions) and set it to 100%, and see if they all stay running then.

On 3/21/2022 at 6:50 PM, Sjoerd Van den Nieuwenhof said:

Hi, 

Please look at the power management of the Delivery Group. 

I think that the power management is set to 260 VMs.

https://docs.citrix.com/en-us/citrix-virtual-apps-desktops/install-configure/delivery-groups-manage.html#power-managed-machines-in-a-delivery-group

Look at: Power manage virtual single-session OS machines

It looks something like below:

image.thumb.png.a6c0bb3a3a7aa4424f110586b7dfb537.png

Hi Sir,

Thank you for your input.. I will try to check on this. Appreciate your comment on this

On 3/23/2022 at 11:07 PM, Michael Burnstead1709159565 said:

Hi Sir,

Noted,, Will check further on this. Thank sir