Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Office Read aloud in RDS and ICA

Question

Getting error in Office products when I attempt to use the read aloud feature : 

read aloud isnt available because something is preventing it from starting. 
Using Windows 2016 server. Office is  32 bit pro plus   16.0.14326.20784 semi annual. 
Is there a special language pack needed ?
Other text to speech features and audio works fine. I can run a visual basic script (vbs ) that run the text to speech function and that works. 

I know this probably belongs on the microsoft forums but after reviewing the standard Microsoft answer : have you tried removing Office and reinstalling, I thought I'd ask here.  

Issue is repeatable in published Desktop, RDS, with and without admin rights.  

7 answers to this question

Hi Michael.  It gets worse.  There are also issues with Outlook toast notifications.  A quote from a Microsoft rep, 'The remaining issue where the email appears behind other windows after clicking on the notification, won’t be fixed on this version of the [Server 2016] OS.'.   Additionally, ..."Microsoft 365 Apps isn't supported on Windows Server 2022, even though Windows Server  2022  is supported until Oct 2031' .  For our part we are reviewing switching to Windows 10 Enterprise Multi-Session on Azure WVD. - (PoC Guide: Citrix Virtual Apps and Desktops with Azure Virtual Desktop Hybrid)

• Like 1
On 4/23/2022 at 5:39 PM, Vincent Bernard said:

Running o365 x64 Semi-Annual on Server 2016 and found the same message popping up as you when running Read-Aloud.   Unusually, if you run Outlook, etc in Compatibility Mode (Win8RTM) Real-Aloud works!!   I've raised a case with Microsoft for this and will post the outcome.

Vincent. I also opened a Microsoft ticket .  Microsoft is refusing to take responsibility for their code breaking their apps. 

Their resolution We checked and found on windows Server 2016 the needed functionality is not available and due to technical limitations and the already end of mainstream support the recommendation is to upgrade to Windows server 2019.

" Relief is just a release away"  -  Quote for Ms. Mary in Memphis.