Welcome to our new Citrix community!

The future of Citrix Hypervisor

Marc Rosenthal1709155479

Question

Hello. I joined an organization that uses the hypervisor approximately 18 months ago. It's important to note that everything is on prem since our parent company is not so enthusiastic about the cloud. While our infrastructure is all on 5 XenServer hosts, I was hoping to deploy a VDI solution sometime soon for our remote - and even on prem - users to utilize rather than needing an actual computer at every station. But now I learn that Citrix is in the business of being acquired. This leaves me with many questions: What does that mean for XenServer? Is there a migration away from XenServer? If so, to what? What about VDI (or should I just say Citrix Desktops)? I also have questions regarding integrating the VDI solution into our virtual environment, though that may be moot if these solutions will be discontinued due to the purchase.

Can anyone answer any of these questions? Thanks in advance....

4 answers to this question

Marc,

This is something many of us wonder about and will only have to wait to see what unfolds. I can't imagine the product disppearing overnight, but making a commitment to a hypervisor is a big investment and something one would not want to change frequently. If you want to stay away from the cloud, the trend is certainly moving away from on-premises. But there is still a base for those who wish to remain on-prem. Again, it is hard to say how long that might be sustained.

There are a number of similar hypervisors out there, some even free, and if anything, you might want to take a look at XCP-ng https://xcp-ng.org/, which is about as close to a clone of XS/CH as it gets and with a number of added features. It also has optional support https;//xcp-ng.com/ as well as an active user forum.

-=Tobias

Thanks, Tobias. I don't think we want to rely on open source. Something with backing and support is preferred. I know the cloud is popular, but even I still don't trust putting my data in someone else's hands. Too many horror stories about them being hacked (I always had more faith in my ability to protect data). All that being said, any thoughts on the VDI implementation?

Thanks again!

On 2/2/2022 at 8:22 PM, Marc Rosenthal1709155479 said:

Thanks, Tobias. I don't think we want to rely on open source. Something with backing and support is preferred. I know the cloud is popular, but even I still don't trust putting my data in someone else's hands. Too many horror stories about them being hacked (I always had more faith in my ability to protect data). All that being said, any thoughts on the VDI implementation?

Thanks again!

Hello Marc,

Open Source doesn't mean "you are alone without support". As Alan said, you can easily get pro support for XCP-ng (for example) on https://xcp-ng.com ? It's also true for some other open source solutions.