Welcome to our new Citrix community!

Bad Video Meeting Quality

Daniel Richert1709163213

Question

Hi,

I have a question regarding the teams content redirection. We use CVAD 2112, both infrastructure and VDA are on version 2112, Teams is always on the latest version via Evergreen Script. However, the current Teams meeting experience is not conducive to user adoption and we are considering deploying locally on the client. As a passionate Citrix administrator, this is of course a no-go for me. Oh yes - the Workspace App is at least 2109 and no matter if on Windows or Mac clients.

Behaviour: The Teams HDX optimisation is on and running, this can be seen directly in the Teams client and also on the local client where the HdxRtcEngine is working.

However, the video quality in the meeting is so poor that you could think you are working with technology from the Stone Age. As soon as a user joins the meeting via a local Teams installation, the quality of the video is almost perfect. Unbelievable.

Access is via a Citrix Gateway vServer with DTLS (HDX via UDP).

Do you have any ideas for me, I am desperate. 

Thank you. 

5 answers to this question

19 hours ago, Daniel Richert1709163213 said:

Hi,

I have a question regarding the teams content redirection. We use CVAD 2112, both infrastructure and VDA are on version 2112, Teams is always on the latest version via Evergreen Script. However, the current Teams meeting experience is not conducive to user adoption and we are considering deploying locally on the client. As a passionate Citrix administrator, this is of course a no-go for me. Oh yes - the Workspace App is at least 2109 and no matter if on Windows or Mac clients.

Behaviour: The Teams HDX optimisation is on and running, this can be seen directly in the Teams client and also on the local client where the HdxRtcEngine is working.

However, the video quality in the meeting is so poor that you could think you are working with technology from the Stone Age. As soon as a user joins the meeting via a local Teams installation, the quality of the video is almost perfect. Unbelievable.

Access is via a Citrix Gateway vServer with DTLS (HDX via UDP).

Do you have any ideas for me, I am desperate. 

Thank you. 

Daniel, can you give me more details?

In the conference call, there are 2 participants initially, correct? Are both coming from an optimized endpoint?

And you say that the quality is bad - does this last for a long time, or after e.g 90 secs the quality improves?

On this note, how is the quality between these two participants ON A P2P CALL?

Also, are you saying that the moment a third participant joins the conference call from a local Teams desktop client running on the endpoint, the quality suddenly improves for everyone?

Hi Fernando,

As long as there are only two participants in the meeting, the quality of the video is acceptable, including P2P calls.

As soon as several participants from different optimised endpoints join the meeting, the quality of the video deteriorates,

but in our opinion it does not improve.

The audio quality, on the other hand, is consistently good.

On 1/31/2022 at 1:48 AM, Daniel Richert1709163213 said:

Hi Fernando,

As long as there are only two participants in the meeting, the quality of the video is acceptable, including P2P calls.

As soon as several participants from different optimised endpoints join the meeting, the quality of the video deteriorates,

but in our opinion it does not improve.

The audio quality, on the other hand, is consistently good.

"As soon as a user joins the meeting via a local Teams installation, the quality of the video is almost perfect. Unbelievable."

Is that the case still?

If you can repro this and show it to me, I will take this forward to Microsoft directly. Please send me a direct message.

We are making improvements to video conference call performance in Q1, this is going to be rolled out in Teams silently without requiring an upgrade.

CWA 2109 or higher can take advantage of this.

On 2/3/2022 at 9:55 AM, Daniel Richert1709163213 said:

Ok, then I'm curious and will wait for the Q1. Will the change be officially published somewhere?

If you have the opportunity, take a look at the ticket case #80992602, there are screenshots where you can clearly see the differences.

Announcements will be made as always in CTX253754.

I could not find the relevant info on that SR# Case.

The data i need is the callID.

Can you repro again, let the call run for a few minutes and then send me the Teams logs?

In order to get Teams logs you need to press ctrl+alt+shift+1 in the Teams app, and they will be downloaded to the VDA's Download folder.