Welcome to our new Citrix community!

FSLogix causes server 2019 and VDA 1912 CU3 to freeze

Jacob Dixon1709152413

Question

We are new to FSLogix and have been using Citrix Profile Management for a long time. However, with the O365 apps we have not been able to get the licensing to work properly and made the move to FSLogix. Since then we have experienced servers going into weird states where they respond via ping but you can no longer access them remotely. Going in through the Hyper-V console it responds to CTRL + ALT + DEL and you can enter your credentials but then it will get stuck forever at waiting for the FSLogix App Service. Sometimes it may get past that and get stuck at waiting for the User Profile service but usually it is juts the FSLogix App Service.

I posted on the Reddit about this and a couple other people have been experiencing the issue as well and are not using Citrix. We have tried different versions of FSLogix going back 3 versions from the current and have tried the Jan 2022 CU with no luck. We currently have a case open with Microsoft about this but you can imagine how that is going.

I'm just curious if anyone is running this setup and has seen the same thing?

17 answers to this question

Greetings!

I am going to closely monitor this thread, as I'm fighting something similar.  

My environment is all physical machines.  I'm running Windows server 2016 and I'm seeing random lockups.  I can't do anything with the machine once "it" happens.  I have fslogix installed, but have removed it for testing and I still have "the problem".

My case has moved from Citrix to Microsoft, and I'm kind of in a waiting state.  Microsoft has made mention of a bug in NTFS pointing fingers at a filter driver which defiantely could include FS Logix.  Only problem is -- I've removed FSLogix and I still have the problem.  

This problem originally started in my test environment where I'm building out some 2022 servers to migrate too.   They can sit all day long with no users and be fine, but once I put users on them -- anywhere from 30 minutes to 48 hours -- the machine just freezes.

The 2016 servers are running 1912 CU4 (updated from CU2 in hopes it would resolve the problem).  The 2022 servers are running 2109, haven't been able to test 2112 yet.

I'm currently removing windows updates back to November to see if I can get some stability back.  If I find something that works, I'll chime in.

• Like 1

I have had some others not even using Citrix mention they are experiencing the same issue with FSLogix. Our ticket is with the FSLogix team now and I saved the state of the virtual machine while it was stuck in this situation, so hopefully they can take that saved state and convert it to a memory dump.

The thing is we run quite a few Server 2016 and Server 2019 running 1912 CU3 as well as 1912CU4 that have zero issues. Some are using Citrix Profile Management, some are using only redirected folders, some are only using local profiles (local profiles is the most common). Our latest environment is using 100% redirected folders with Citrix UPM but the only one that is having this issue is the first one we tried with FSLogix. It may not be an FSLogix issue but it may be an issue with it mounting so many virtual disks and unmounting them all the time with user login / logoff.

Did you check that the filter driver was actually removed when you uninstalled FSLogix? Are you sure it didn't' get left behind?

Take a peek at this thread:

https://discussions.citrix.com/topic/393608-logonuiexe-sessions-disconnected/?

CU2 and CU4 have a bug (as well as any newer version, at least up to 2112).  In talking with citrix, it appears to be a pretty hot topic right now hitting lots of people.  Seems like November Updates caused the bug to be more prevalant, and it's just gotten worse since.  They've confirmed that they're seeing it with lots of customers using FSLogix, but they don't quite have an answer yet ( https://support.citrix.com/article/CTX338807 ).

I'm not 100% if this is your issue, but putting a script in to kill the logonui process has partially resolved my issue.  It's the first day in a month Ithink I will sleep well!

We are also using FSLogix but that was not the source of our issues. 

Are you also using ELM?  we had this exact issue and spent many many weeks working with Citrix on it.  Eventually it was found that the issue related to way layers were loaded in the user context of the first user to launch the application.  when that user Kerberos token expired, after 8, hours the server went into the exact state you describe above.  the 'fix' is to change the setting so that the layer is loaded in the computer context not user. We confirmed with citrix that the default setting remains to use the user context but this is only there for backward comapatibility and there should be no issue chnaging it. Since we made the change we have had no further server crashes ?

Hi,

I am having the same problem, which started earlier in the year. It happened on 1912 CU2 but now that we have upgraded to CU5 it is still happening. I've installed the latest version of FSLogix which didn't help either. We also have a few Windows 2012R2 servers with CU5 and the same version of FSLogix, but they're not affected by this problem. We have 40 Windows 2019 servers and it happens once or twice a week, when new users can't start a session on the affected server. We can put the server into maintenance mode, but the existing users can't logoff and their session is stuck. We can't RDP or console into the server, though we can ping it and remotely open services.msc and event logs. When the problem happens, the IP Helper and AppX services get stuck in a starting or stopping state.

Thanks,

Hi everyone

I've has similar issues with FSLogix in the past on Citrix servers, and it turned out to be different issues

One time the customer didn't add all the AV exclusions to the Citrix servers and file servers, causing the AV to lock files. Don't forget to add the file extension .vhdx to AV exclusions on the file server as well as the fslogix processes on each of the Citrix servers

Another time, I had a corruption in the redirections.xml file, causing the profile to be created successfully the first time a user logged in, but then fail to unload, causing the profile entry to be left behind in the ProfileList/ProfileGuid registry key with a .bak extension and so subsequent mounts/loads failing. 

A third time I had unload  issues (due to performance issues on the file share) and Microsoft gave me a set of registry keys to try. I will hunt them out shortly.

Regards

Ken Z

Hi All / Jacob,

we have exactly the same behaviour as Jacob mentioned.

We use Windows Server 2016 (patched with March 2023 Update currently) with VDA-Version 2203 CU2 and FSLogix. Affected Servers respond via ping but Connection via RDP or Console is not possible.

The only "solution" is to reset the server...

What I can see in the eventlog of the Server that there are lots of events of Event ID 51 saying it´s not possible to write to the (VHDX) Disk. Virus Scan Exclusions are all set, active and working...

Has anyone found a solution for this? - I currently give it a try to update to the latest FSLogix Version for the VDA´s to 2.9.8440.42104.

On 1/21/2022 at 10:10 PM, Jacob Dixon1709152413 said:

We are new to FSLogix and have been using Citrix Profile Management for a long time. However, with the O365 apps we have not been able to get the licensing to work properly and made the move to FSLogix. Since then we have experienced servers going into weird states where they respond via ping but you can no longer access them remotely. Going in through the Hyper-V console it responds to CTRL + ALT + DEL and you can enter your credentials but then it will get stuck forever at waiting for the FSLogix App Service. Sometimes it may get past that and get stuck at waiting for the User Profile service but usually it is juts the FSLogix App Service.

I posted on the Reddit about this and a couple other people have been experiencing the issue as well and are not using Citrix. We have tried different versions of FSLogix going back 3 versions from the current and have tried the Jan 2022 CU with no luck. We currently have a case open with Microsoft about this but you can imagine how that is going.

I'm just curious if anyone is running this setup and has seen the same thing?

Hi,

I tried the fastreconnect registry settings that have been mentioned in a couple of other threads and we have not seen problems with servers crashing or sessions hanging since. The 3 settings are:

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\Reconnect
FastReconnect (REG_DWORD)
Value: 0
DisableGPCalculation (REG_DWORD)
Value: 1

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Citrix\Ica\GroupPolicy
EnforceUserPolicyEvaluationSuccess (REG_DWORD)
Value: 0

There's some incompatibility between this feature and RDP in Windows 2019.

Hi H Desk,

I´ve implemented the keys on our VDA´s. They were running for a week now but the problem persists.

The affected Server / the Sessions get inresponsive.

I still can see Warning messages from the source "Disk" with Event ID 51. The affected disk is a fslogix disk...

Event ID 50 is also there "Delayed Write Failed" from Source "NTFS"

Hello all.

Thanks H Desk and Jens for your post.
I have now set the reg entries and i am curious to see if it helps.

I also see in the event viewer the errors to the profiles ("Disk" with Event ID 51). But I think that is related to the fact that the server has already crashed and that is reason where the errors are coming from.

In my event viewer is the first error which I can see from the windows search feature. After that the other problems starts.
So I am concerned that my problem is coming from windows search! 
Currently I have activated the feature, because otherwise the search in Outlook does not work properly.
How do you do this?

Would you like to see if you can find the entries?

Best wishes
Sebastian